Sbona Honors Program
What is The Honors Program?
The Honors Program is an opportunity for students and potential employers to develop an understanding of each other before graduation, job search and hiring frenzy.
Participating employers will sponsor capable, motivated, honors students in real projects within their firms. Projects will have measurable outcomes and deliverables defined at the start of the project. Students will present the results to a team of interested sponsor executives.
In 2006, the program was provided with an exceptional boost through the generosity
of Gary J. Sbona, a San Jose State College of Business Alum and successful business
man. Gary has agreed to sponsor the program, which now bears his name, and has committed
substantial funds to support the program and promote its expansion to global dimensions.
Why should an honors student do this?
Honors Students will
- Have access to top-level employers who will have already expressed an interest in graduate of the College of Business
- Work with other capable, motivated honors students (no freeloading here!)
- Develop leadership and professional skills through a hands-on assignment integrated with their major area of study
- Have other leadership and representation opportunities in the College of Business, including representing the best our college has to offer
- Be among the elite students whose diploma and transcript indicate they earned department honors in business.
Department honors notation on diplomas and transcripts will be awarded to students successfully completing 6 units in the program over two semesters with a GPA in their major of at least 3.5. Students successfully completing 3 units, one semester, or 6 units without a 3.5 GPA in their major will receive a certificate from their department indicating graduation honors.
When is it?
For marketing majors, the course, Bus137H, meets Monday evenings. Other areas of concentration should check with the appropriate department for the schedule of classes.
Who is qualified?
The following are the requirements for candidacy: (Some requirements may vary depending on your department/concentration)
- a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall (and a 3.25 in your major)
- a sealed or emailed letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the department of your major. Sealed letter may be attached or forwarded electronically to your department coordinator
- a minimum of two semesters of course work at SJSU prior to entering the first semester of the program
- have completed the prerequisite courses in your major. For marketing majors, the prerequisite is Bus 130, Principles of Marketing. Bus 138, Marketing Research, is a co-requisite, meaning that if you haven't completed the course you must do so while in the program.
- Note that these are the minimum requirements. Other departments may have additional GPA requirements or prerequisites specific to other concentrations.
How do I apply?
Write an essay of no more than 500 words noting the course at SJSU where you received your best grade and the course where you received your worst grade, and why for both grades. Additional information and an application available here
Do it NOW!
The application and attachments specified should be submitted to your department office. Acceptance is not automatic. The application process includes a personal interview with program coordinators. After the application and all necessary attachments are received, students will be contacted for an interview.
Organizations that are participating or have participated in the program include: