Benefits for Sworn Police Officers
Employment benefits for sworn Police Officers are listed below. For additional information, see Public Safety Benefits (pdf).
- Paid medical, dental and vision insurance for all employees and dependants.
- 10 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave a year, including 20 days paid maternity, paternity or adoption leave. Vacation accrual rate increases after 3 years of service.
- 13 paid holidays and 1 personal holiday a year.
- Annual uniform allowance. In addition, all safety equipment is initially provided to newly hired police officers.
- POST Certificate Bonus up to $250/month.
- Special Assignment Bonus $100/month.
- Employee and dependant education Fee Waiver Program - earn a degree!
- CalPERS Retirement Program 3% at 50 paid by Department.
- Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA).
- CalPERS Home Loan Program.
- Workers Compensation Plan.
Non-Sworn Employment Opportunities
UPD also has several classifications of non-sworn positions, including Police Dispatcher and Parking Enforcement Officer. For information regarding employment benefits, visit Human Resources Benefit Summary Sheets.
For information about the benefits of working for SJSU, visit Working at SJSU.