- Avoid the use of hot plates and cooking appliances in
residence hall rooms.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
- Avoid using extension cords, when possible.
- Place candles in secure fire-proof holders and never leave a
candle burning unattended. (The burning of candles is prohibited
in SJSU buildings.)
- Never smoke in bed. (Smoking is prohibited in SJSU
- Keep exits and hallways clear of obstructions.
- Review the SJSU
SJSU strongly encourages the campus community to call 9-1-1 to
report a fire,
even if it has already been extinguished.
If you notice evidence of an isolated fire that has been
extinguished, please alert UPD. Federal law requires that all fires
that occur in student housing be reported to the Department of
Education on an annual basis.
Reporting a fire to UPD, even one that has been extinguished,
helps SJSU. Fires should be reported to UPD, University Housing
Services and the Associate Director for Residential Life.
If You Smell Smoke or See Fire
- Leave the area as quickly and safely as possible.
- Close doors behind you as you exit.
- Before opening any door, use the back of your hand to see if it is hot. If the door
is hot, do not open it! Stuff towels or clothing beneath the door to block smoke from entering.
- If unable to open door or if the exit is blocked, open a window and signal to emergency
responders. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency personnel to your location.
- Use the stairs to evacuate. Never use the elevator in the event of a fire.
- Ask persons with disabilities if they require assistance. Provide reasonable assistance
if able to do so safely. Evacu-Trak chairs are available to assist in evacuating disabled
Note: Documents in PDF format require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.
If You are Trapped in a Building
- If near a window, place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.,) outside the window
as a marker for emergency personnel.
- If there is no window, stay near the floor, where the air is more breathable.
- Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency personnel.
- Do not re-enter any danger area unless instructed or cleared by authorities.
- Do not pull fire alarms if a gaseous substance is present. The alarm bell could spark
and ignite gases.
- Do not open doors that are hot to the touch.
- Do not use elevators.
When Out of Danger
- Activate the nearest fire alarm.
- Call 408-924-2222 from any phone or use a campus Bluelight phone.
- Notify emergency responders of the location of persons who are unable to evacuate
due to disability, injury or other reasons.