Here are what a few of our alumni are doing:
Ananbel Arreola-Trigonis ('95) is a College Counselor at Foothill College.
Amanda Baker ('08, MPA '10) has graduated from the American University Washington College of Law and is a Law Clerk with the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary (Office of Senator Dianne Feinstein).
Nick Becker ('13) is Good Government Coordinator for the City of Santa Clara.
Edesa Bitbadal ('96, MPA '10) is Vice Chair of the City of San Jose Planning Commission.
Jorden Castegna is University Programs Coordinator for Google.
Tiffany Chew (MPA '11) is Business Development Specialist for the City of Mountain View.
Elisabeth Copper (MPA '13) is Social Media Manager at Independent Television Service (ITVS)/Independent Lens in San Francisco.
Constantine Danopoulos ('74, MPA '75) is Professor and Department Chair of Political Science.
Norberto Duenas ('83, MPA '85) has been appointed San Jose's Interim Assistant City Manager.
Matt Escover ('79, MPA '82) teaches politics at Cabrillo College.
Casey Estorga ('08) id Director of Finance and Administration at Veolia Transportation.
Justine Bono Foltz ('99) is Vascular Nurse Practitioner at Sharp Grossmont Hospital in San Diego.
Jennifer Gonzales ('12) is an assistant to San Jose Councilmember Rose Herrera.
Andrew Erlickman ('03) is Director of Administration and Finance, Office of Management Innovation at City of New York Human Resources Administration.
Kelly Kline ('90, MPA '07) is Director of Economic Development for the City of Fremont.
Tosin Ladeinde ('03) completed his Master of Urban Planning degree at SJSU in 2007 and is Senior New Business Representative/Industrial Power Engineer with PG&E.
Chad Lama ('09) is a Resettlement Casework with the International Rescue Committee in Oakland.
Kaitlin Landreth ('12) is an Administrative Assistant for Sales at Twitter.
Mike McCarthy ('88) is Assistant City Manager for the City of Monterey.
The Reverend Katie McClelland completed seminary and was ordained on September 14th.
Richard MacKinnon ('89, MPA '92) is CEO of the mobile feedback service Mifft and the WiFi firm Less Networks and a Transportation Commissioner in Austin, Texas.
Anurag Pal ('11) worked on the successful election campaign of New Jersey Senator Cory Booker and is now in Trinidad working on the re-election campaign of the Prime Minister.
Jilian Peterson ('12) is an Administrative Assistant with Community Development and Public Works Departments of the City of Gilroy.
Beth Pugliese ('82, MPA '86) is Associate Vice President for Human Resources at SJSU.
Hesam Rahmani ('12) is currently completing a Masters at King's College in London in International Relations.
Gabe Santiago ('08) was recognized as the 2012-2013 Outstanding Admissions Advisor at Heald College.
Jennifer Stasio ('00) is a realtor with Century 21 M & M Associates in San Jose.
Aisha Wahab ('10) was recently awarded an MBA. She serves as an elected delegate to the California Democratic Party and was asked by the White House to be party of the Afghan American Community Leaders Roundtable Discussion.
Ron Waterman ('71) of Waterman Associates represents the California Association of Counties (CSAC) in Washington, DC.
Julie Wynn ('92) is Manager of Outreach and Corporate Giving at Electronic Arts.
Summer 2013 Issue
- Rhovylyn Cansino Antonio ('06) is Government Affairs Director for the California Apartment Association.
- Zane Barnes ('04) has just returned from his second year in Afghanistan as the spokesperson for the U.S. civilian presences in southern Afghanistan, primarily Kandahar and Helmand provinces. He is not the cultural Affairs officer for Iran, based in Dubai.
- Jeremy Barousse ('08) is a Community Organizer with Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network (SIREN).
- Michael Baucus ('09) is senior account manager for McCann Erickson in Hong Kong.
- Marjan Bednar ('09) is completing her law degree at Golden Gate University.
- Kyle Brady ('12) has taken a position in national security in Martha's Vineyard, MA.
- Hong Cao ('08, MPA) is a Program Manager in the office of the Santa Clara County Executive.
- Cindy Chavez ('87) has been elected to the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors.
- Julia Cooper ('92) is Director of Finance for the City of San Jose.
- Donna Crane ('91) is Policy Director for NARAL Pro-Choicce America in Washington, DC.
- John de los Angeles ('12) is legislative aide for Assemblyman Luis Alejo.
- Star Dormanesh ('12) is Director of Operations at Robinson Communications and member of the Santa Clara County Commission on the Status of Women.
- Michael Ellzey ('78) is Chief Executive Officer at Orange County Great Park.
- Jeff Fong ('11) published an article on the election in Venezuela in policymic: http://www.policymic.com/articles/34285/venezuela-election-2013-will-venezulea-choose-captialism-or-more-chavez
- Anthony Harrison ('09) is Policy Director for the California Energy Efficiency Industry Council (CEEIC).
- Domingo Juan ('12) is a Project and Administrative Assistant with the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington, DC.
- Paul Kemp ('67) practices law in San Jose and owns Loma Prieta Winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Chad Lama ('09) has completed a Master's Degree in International Studies with an emphasis on Middle Eastern Politics and International Security at the University of San Francisco.
- Matthew Lee ('10) is completing his first year at UC Hastings School of Law; he won an award as the top student in his legal writing and research class and wrote that "I truly believe that the experiences and education I obtained at SJSU were a large part of my humble success. Additionally, I think that my experiences at Hastings are indicative that SJSU students and alumni from places such as UC Berkeley, Stanford, and Harvard."
- Mark Linder (MPA '94) is city manager of Campbell.
- Evan Low ('03) is Mayor of Campbell.
- Fernando Encisco-Marquez ('10) is Coordinator of Community Based Learning for the Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good at the University of San Francisco.
- Beth Pugliese ('82, MPA '86) is SJSU's Interim Vice President for Human Resources.
- Andres Quintero ('06, MPA '11) is Vice Chair of the San Jose Airport Commission.
- James Revell ('96) is Senior Director, Affiliate Partner Marketing, North America Ticketmaster, Live Nation Entertainment.
- Angelica Reynoso ('11) is a Client Services Associate with Stifel Nicolaus & Company (bond underwriters) in San Francisco.
- Angel Rios, Jr. is Assistant Director of San Jose's Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services
- Sara Roberson ('09) is Executive Director of City Year in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Fred Silva ('67) was awarded the Sacramento American Society of Public Administration (ASPA) Ross Clayton Lifetime Achievement Award for his work on California Governance.
- Barbara Spector (MA '74) is Mayor of the Town of Los Gatos.
- McKenzie Taylor ('10) teaches English as a foreign language with the Peace Corps.
- Omar Torres ('11) is a community columnist for San Jose Inside (www.sanjoseinside.com) a local politics blog to which other SJSU Poli Sci alumni like Rich Robinson ('82) frequently contribute.
- Chris Thomas ('08) is now in Washington DC working on the Fan Freedom Project, a consumer advocacy campaign.
- Xuyen Ung ('11) has completed her MPA at CSU-Long Beach.
- Alex Vassar ('04) is Chief of Staff for Assemblyman Tim Donnelly (R).
- Alex Wong ('06) is Product Manager at Cisco Systems.
- Ryan Wu ('10) is an Ensign in the U.S. Navy currently in Supply School in Newport, R.I.
- E.J. (Yigie) Xu is Liaison Director at the US China Exchange Council, a nonprofit organization dedicated to professional exchange programs between the United States and China.
Winter 2012 Issue
- Rhovylyn Cansino Antonio ('06) is Chief of Staff for San Jose Councilman Pete Constant.
- Joshua Barousse (MPA '10) is Chairman of the San Jose Human Rights Commission.
- Travis Casper ('99) has completed a Master of Public Affairs degree at Indiana University, South Bend.
- Roy Christman, Emeritus Professor, writes Sajeonogi, a political blog.
- Darren Deffner ('96) is Director of Policy for the Solar Electric Power Association.
- Rolanda Pierre-Dixon ('77) serves as chairwoman of the Santa Clara County Domestic Violence Council; she retired after 30 years with the District Attorney.
- Bill Ekern ('92, MPA) is Community Development Director for Redwood City, CA.
- Aimee Escobar ('96) completed a Master of Urban and Regional Planning in 2010.
- David Field ('95) is Development Coordinator with the Office of Development, Stanford University Major Gifts Team.
- Patricia Gardner ('79) received United Way Silicon Valley's Community Builder Award in September.
- Greg Gillam ('73) is Director of Finance for Arbor Commerical Mortgage in Manhattan Beach, CA.
- Allen Ishibashi (MPA '07) has joined the real estate division of the Mid Peninsula Open Space District.
- Gisela Jara ('03) completed her law degree at Lincoln Law School, passed the bar and is now practicing law.
- Joel Johnson ('01) completed his PhD at UC San Diego and is in his second year as an assistant professor at Colorado State University Pueblo.
- Mami Kobayashi ('08) is a news reporter for NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation).
- Nanci Klein (MPA '90) is deputy director of San Jose's Office of Economic Development.
- Thomas Malone ('75) practices commercial litigation in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is a partner in the law firm of Barna, Guzy & Steffen and teaches Business Law in the MBA program at the University of St. Thomas.
- Steven Neese ('09) has joined the American Leadership Forum of Silicon Valley as an executive assistant.
- Darren Ponce ('07) is Annual Fund Manager for the Computer History Museum in Mountain View.
- Corinna Reyes ('08) is founder of the Golden State Care Collective "Affordable Clinic."
- Rich Robinson ('82) has written a novel, The Shadow Candidate.
- David Ross ('99) manages the "Sweat Equity" program for the Washington, D.C., Department of Human Services, featured on CNN News and in the Washington Post.
- James Rowen ('84) is a member of Santa Clara's Charter Review Committee determining the need of district elections and ethnic issues in Santa Clara. He has successfully managed four campaigns in the Bay Area from 2008 to 2011 and is editor of Mission City Lantern, principal blog concerning the 49ers stadium election.
- Chris Schwarz ('06) has joined Canyon Snow Consulting, a government relations and corporate sustainability consulting company in Los Gatos. He is also on the board of directors at Sustainable Silicon Valley.
- McKenzie Taylor ('10) is Human Resources/Immigration Coordinator at the international law firm of Fragomen, Del Rey, Bersen & Loewy.
- David Terrazas ('92) was awarded his J.D. by Santa Clara University in 2006 and now serves as a member of the Santa Cruz City Council.
- Ben Troy ('06) is Director of Supply Chain at HCA (a healthcare provider).
- Alex Vassar ('04) has a new blog at www.onevoter.org.
- Roland Velasco ('97) is a policy aide to Santa Clara County Supervisor Mike Wasserman.
- Jose A. Villarreal ('96) is Acting Executive Director of The Vasconcellos Legacy Project.
- Susie Wilson ('76) was presented the Silicon Valley Leadership Group's "Shattering the Glass Ceiling" Award to honor the Women Who Led the Way in October.
Winter 2013 Issue
- Victor Arranaga ('73) is a principal with Arranaga Government Relations with offices in Sacramento and San Jose
- Jack Barbour (MA'75) is a Professor of Political Science, MPA Director and Department Chair at Angelo State University in San Angelo, Texas.
- Domingo Candelas ('12) worked on Jim Beall's successful campaign for state senate and has now joined Jim's senate staff.
- Brian Chapman ('05) is Employment Support Specialist at Provail, a muli-service agency for people with disabilities in Seattle, Washington.
- Cindy Chavez ('87) is Executive Director for Working Partnerships USA, a San Jose based progressive think tank.
- Ron Conway ('75) is owner and founder of SV Angel and has invested in more than 300 Internet startups.
- David Doerr ('64) is the author of California's Tax Machine (2nd edition, 2008, California Taxpayes' Association) which has been praised as "Dave's bible on CA taxes'' (Dan Walters, Sacramento Bee) and "an invaluable resource" (State Controller John Chiang).
- Laura Enderton-Speed ('02) is Governmental Relations and Legislative Officer for Sacramento County.
- Barbara J. French ('75) is Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications & University Relations for the University of California, San Francisco.
- Frederick Griefer ('05) is working for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, DC as a Senior Policy Analyst.
- Elnaz Ilkani Masoon ('05) is an attorney practicing in San Jose.
- Domingo Juan ('12) interned with Congressman Mike Honda in Washington, DC, and has subsequently accepted a position as Legislative Coordinator for Stateside Associates, a lobbying firm in Arlington, VA.
- Karim Kamel ('07) was awarded an MA in Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies by the Monterey Institute of International Studies in 2010 and recently interned with the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) in Vienna, Austria.
- Jonathan Kerman ('12) and Kathryn Wood ('92) published "The Failure of Democracy Building in Modern Iran" in the journal Mediterranean Quarterly 23-4 (2012).
- Matthew Lee ('10) won a Merit Scholarship to the University of California's Hastings College of Law.
- Evan Low ('03) is the Mayor of Campbell.
- Fernando Enciso-Marquez ('10) is completing an MPA at the University of San Francisco and working at USF's Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good where he is overseeing the USF in DC internship program (after interning in Washington in 2010 supported by our department's Ward Washington Scholarship.
- Candace Joy ('11) is a Field Representative for Senator Joe Simitian. She has also started her own political consulting firm, The Joy Group, and served as Campaign Coordinator for Simitian's successful campaign for Santa Clara County Supervisor.
- Anurag Pal ('12) was a field organizer for the Obama campaign in Virginia.
- Omar Torres ('11) is Executive Director for the Santa Maria Urban Ministry in San Jose.
- Ben Tripousis (MPA'98) is the Northern California Regional Director of the California High Speed Rail Authority.
- Jo Zientek (MPA '95) is Deputy Director of Environmental Services for the City of San José.
- Harry Griffith ('81, Political Science) age 53, on March 9, 2012, in Southern California. Griffith was a founding partner at Branson, Brinkop, Griffith & Strong, LLP in Redwood City. He was a Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel member and during his 27-year career represented major insurance companies in the U.S. and abroad.
- Judi Henderson ('79 Social Science) age 70, on November 6, 2012, in San Jose. Judi was a loyal friend of Poli Sci @SJSU and a longtime community activist, especially on issues of historic preservation.