Please contact the Dept. Office or Dr. Frances Edwards if you have any questions concerning the MPA Program
Government is a rapidly growing enterprise in the United States. The effective achievement of the goals of this enterprise requires the recruitment and retention of the most able men and women in government service.
Those entering the public service for the foreseeable future will be called upon to deal with such problems as a shrinking tax base, a decaying infrastructure, environmental hazards and a public that demands more and more services and services that are provided efficiently and effectively. Such an environment leaves little margin for error. Thus, public administrators must be highly competent and possess analytic skills, managerial acumen, ethical sensitivity and organizational sense.
The San Jose State University Public Administration Program offers students an opportunity to learn and practice skills necessary to meet the challenges of government.
The MPA Program stresses:
- The special environment and problems of administration in local government.
- Government's place in the social and economic systems.
- The human side of administration, including theories of motivation and leadership.
- Techniques and strategies for program analysis, planning, evaluation and implementation.
- The nuts and bolts of budgeting, public personnel management, emergency management and labor management relations.
Emphasis is given to the practical application of administrative theories and skills. The courses require students to master written and oral communication, interpersonal relations, computer applications, and the art of problem solving.
NASPAA has partnered with APPAM and ASPA in creating a new public sector career site. Please visit the following website to view several job postings dedicated to the public sector careers.