John Gilbert Scholarship for International Studies
Darren Agcaoili, 2018
- Enter Amount
$1,000 to $7,000 awarded annually
The John Gilbert Scholarship is made possible through the generosity of a fund set up by the family and friends of John Gilbert. The John Gilbert Scholarship is exclusively for students who participate in an SJSU-approved study abroad program. Applicants for the John Gilbert Scholarship for International Studies must be Political Science majors with a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall, at SJSU, or in the Political Science major. Applicants must be full-time Political Science majors taking a minimum of 12 units at the time of application, or full-time students when enrolled in the study board program. This scholarship also supports participation in Faculty Led Programs that take place in the intersession (summer and winter).
To apply, follow these steps:
This Scholarship does not use the common scholarship application form.
- First consult with the Gilbert Scholarship Advisor, Professor Karthika Sasikumar (Clark Hall 451).
- Attend an SJSU Study Abroad informational meeting or individual counseling session with an SJSU study abroad advisor.
- Prepare and submit an application to a recognized program through the SJSU Study Abroad office.
- Prepare a 500-word statement on the relevance of study abroad to your educational and professional goals, including a tentative budget for the overseas stay. In this statement the applicant should identify the particular program or programs for which he or she is applying. Note, you do not need to have been accepted to a study aboard program, to apply for the Gilbert Scholarship.
- Please attach a resume, including information on employment, memberships in clubs, associations, fraternities, sororities, public service organizations, or other extracurricular activities, including those outside SJSU.
- Print and complete the Gilbert Scholarship application form, attach the 500 word statement including budget, and information about the study aboard program that you are applying for. Also attach a copy of your Study Aboard application.
- Bring the complete application and supporting documents to Professor Sasikumar and obtain her signature. Her office hours are here.
The deadline for applications for summer programs and for priority consideration for AY 2019-20 programs is March 29, 2019, although applications will continue to be accepted on a rotating basis until all funds are awarded.