One of the best ways of finding out what it would be like to work in a legal field and present yourself as a better pre-law student for competitive law schools is by getting an internship during your junior year or the summer before your senior year. Legal internships are generally hard to come by for undergraduates. Most often legal internships are reserved for those already in law school or those with a JD, but here are some strategies you can use for finding an internship:
- Check with our Career Center (Moira.Kolasinski@sjsu.edu) for internship opportunities.
- Look for courses that have an internship component.
- Look in your local community for law firms that may need extra help.
- Look in your local government for legal internships.
- Look in your state level government for legal internships.
Here are links for other internship opportunities:
Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
Judicial Administration Fellowship (for people with 4 year degree)
Santa ClaraCountyPublic DefenderOffice
Legal Assistance for Seniors
Watsonville Law Center
CaliforniaRural Legal Assistance
Superior Court of California,Santa ClaraCounty