President's Message: Extended Appointment
July 19, 2006
To the Campus Community,
For almost two years, I have had the pleasure to serve as president of San José State University. During this time, we have made significant accomplishments that range from improving operations to establishing a strategic vision to become a “university of choice.” I am extremely proud of the progress we are making as a community and want to highlight a few of our achievements:
- We have successfully completed the first phase of a re-accreditation review by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges. This is an important external validation of the quality of our educational programs.
- We are implementing several new initiatives to enhance academic quality. These include developing new integrative learning opportunities, assessing student learning and expanding a first-year experience for all freshmen and transfer students. As we become more student-centered, our focus is on fostering students' learning and their sense of belonging to the university.
- We are enriching the student experience through programs that help build community and connections. We are working to get students more involved and to foster more student-faculty engagement.
- We are improving the campus infrastructure by updating our technology. We are one of the few universities to offer wireless Internet access and we have an aggressive plan to refresh our classroom technology.
- We have renovated Clark Hall and are in the process of renovating Tower Hall. The Academic Success Center on the first floor of Clark Hall will open this fall, with unprecedented services available for students.
- We received a $10 million donation from Don and Sally Lucas for the Graduate School of Business. This is the largest private gift in the university's history, and sets the stage for a renewed emphasis on fundraising.
As you may know, the CSU Board of Trustees and Chancellor Reed have asked me to remain as president of San José State for an additional year. I have accepted this extended appointment because of the hard work and dedication all of you have demonstrated since my initial appointment, and because there is still so much more to be done to prepare the way for a permanent president who will lead the university to even greater achievements.
As we approach our 150th anniversary, I look forward to continuing to work with all of you to achieve our goalsÑthat is, to be a prominent, student-centered campus renowned for academic quality and an unshakeable focus on student learning, as well as a welcoming and inclusive environment with exemplary student support services. We want to be viewed as one of the top universities in the region and are making considerable progress. Let's keep up the good work!
Don W. Kassing