To: Department Chairs
From: President Gail Fullerton
Subject: Faculty Development Questionnaire Sub-task Force on Faculty Development University Task Force on Student Recruitment and Retention
In order for San José State University to improve the recruitment and retention of students, an increasingly important goal in these austere times, we need information about what various departments on campus are doing in this area. Moreover, we need to get a better picture both of what our student body is and what it is perceived to be. Based on your input, we will suggest some recommendations to the University Task Force on Student Recruitment and Retention.
Please complete the enclosed questionnaire by no later than April 15, and return to this office, TH 206.
Your cooperation in this project would be greatly appreciated.
San José State University
Faculty Development Questionnaire 3/80
Sub-Task Force on Faculty Development
University Task Force on Student Recruitment and Retention
Instruction To Academic Department Chairs:
Please complete this questionnaire by checking the correct response(s), and providing explanations where applicable. Return to the University President's Office, TH 206, by no later than April 15, 1980.
Thank you for your cooperation. Please attach additional pages, if necessary.
- How do students receive information about your department?
a. Campus Catalog
c. Recruitment Meetings
d. From other students
e. Other (Please explain.)
- What extra-curricular activities or mechanisms does your department make use of to promote interaction among students and between students and faculty?
a. Social Gather' s
b. Student Groups/Clubs
d. Other (Please explain.)
- How does your department contribute to the university's recruitment effort in high schools and community colleges?
b. Participation with Advisory Groups
c. Other (Please explain.)
- Has your department implemented some innovative, creative approaches to teachingand student-faculty interaction?
If Yes, Please explain:
- Does your department employ any part-time instructors?
- Does your department have a sub-committee or an identifiable group responsible for faculty development?
If yes, please explain their function:
If no, please explain the reasons why:
- Does your department have a program for orienting new faculty on policies and procedures of SJSU?
If yes, please explain the process:
- Are there any faculty members in your department who have singularly demonstrated exceptionally creative and innovative approaches in their teaching techniques?
If yes, please describe these techniques:
- What proportion of students in the University do you think work part-time or full-time?
- What percentages of students at SJSU do you think are?
- What do you believe the average income of the families of SJSU students is for one year?
a. Under $10,000
b. $10,000 - $14,999
c. $15,000 - $20,000
d. Over $20,000
- Have you seen a decline or an improvement in reading skills over the past five years?
- Have you seen a decline or an improvement in writing skills over the past five years?
- If you indicated a decline on either question 4 or 5, to what do you mainly attribute this condition?
- Does your department utilize any special support services available to students on the SJSU campus?
If yes, please identify:
If yes, how extensively are these services used, and how frequently?