March 10, 1985
To: Deans and Administrative Heads
From: President Gail Fullerton
Subject: Procedures for Granting Released Time (with or without Representation) Units 2,5,7,9 (CSEA)
PD 85-01 replaces the memorandum of November 10, 1983.
In order to improve labor relations between management and employees, managers and supervisors must have a good daily working relationship with their employees and be aware of the employees' needs. To achieve this, you must be willing to listen to the employees' suggestions and complaints. At the same time, you must keep the administration informed.
- Communicating with management regarding employee relations.
- When an employee requests an informal, one-on-one meeting with his or her supervisor, there is no need to notify other managers.
- When an informal meeting is held with an employee and union representative, the supervisor/administrator should notify the next higher administrator of the result of the meeting.
- Managers and supervisors are reminded that meetings on contract matters with employees, with or without an employee's representative present, are authorized; however, the administration should be kept informed.
- Procedures for granting released time to employees for union
Current collective bargaining contracts state that Union business shall not interfere with campus programs or operations. Union business involving employees shall be conducted during non-worktime except as indicated in the procedures below.
In order to expedite the process of granting authorized released time to employees, requests will be handled as follows:
- The request must be made to the President's Designee for Employee Relations, Mr. Harold V. Manson, prior to the requested released time. The Employee Relations Office is now located in Tower Hall 107-B. (277-3734))
- The request for released time must include the following
- The contract section(s) under which the request for released time is made.
- The name of the represented employee and the name of his or her supervisor.
- The name of the representative, if any, and the name of the representative's supervisor.
- A requested date and time for the released time to be granted, and approximate amount of released time that is requested.
- The name of the administrator with whom the meeting is requested, if the purpose of the released time is to meet with a University representative.
- After consultation with appropriate supervisors and manageÂment, the President's Designee for Employee Relations will notify all concerned parties of the time set for the exercise of representation rights as set forth in the various collective bargaining agreements.
All CSEA Union Stewards,
Vice Chancellor Caesar Naples EVP, Evans,