September 17, 1991
To: Vice Presidents, Associate Vice Presidents,
Deans, Chairs and Directors
From: President Gail Fullerton
Subject: University Flagpole Policy
It is the purpose of this Presidential Directive to define the use of the official flagpoles of San Jose State University. At the present time, there are five official University flagpoles:
- the Administration building flagpole
- the MacQuarrie Hall Quad flagpole
- the three flagpoles on the San Carlos side of the Fourth Street Garage
Official University flagpoles: all flagpoles on this campus, no matter what the original funding source, belong to the California State University and are considered to be State property. As a consequence, they fall under the purview of the President and must be regulated by University Policy or Directives.
- The only flags that are permitted to be flown on SJSU's flagpoles are the flag of the United States, the flag of the State of California, and the official flag of San Jose State University.
- In accordance with CSU policy, only the campus President may designate when flags are to be flown at half mast.
- The display of unofficial flags, banners, and pennants may be suitable for other locations on the campus, in accordance with the "Time, Place and Manner" document for S.J.S.U.