SJSU Strategic Plan: Vision 2017
San Jose State University envisions a bright future. Vision 2017 was determined collaboratively using input from the university community. The achievement of the strategic goals will be accomplished through the alignment of resources and most notably the hard work and dedication of its faculty, staff, students, and community members. The strategic framework will guide SJSU as it continues its pursuit of excellence.
A Strong and Unique Sense of Place – SJSU has a strong and unique sense of place, both physical and virtual, with modern learning spaces, gathering places and technology infrastructure. We create a welcoming, vibrant, and safe environment that fosters a sense of belonging and Spartan pride.
Unbounded Learning – SJSU is an innovative, engaged learning community committed to preparing students with adaptive skills and knowledge for a global 21st century. Unbounded learning is facilitated by highly regarded faculty members actively engaging with students to provide a wide range of access to and delivery of learning content through in- and out-of- the classroom experiences.
- "SPARTAN PRIDE" - Develop vibrant, safe and welcoming communities that create a sense of belonging and instill Spartan pride.
- "UNBOUNDED LEARNING" - Enhance student success through continuous learning innovations.
- "HELPING AND CARING" - Create a culture of helping.
- "AGILITY THROUGH TECHNOLOGY" - Improve organizational responsiveness through an advanced technology infrastructure and by elimination of procedural obstacles.
- "21st CENTURY SPACES" - Provide gathering spaces and up-to-date facilities.
The next steps in the development of the University Strategic Plan will be to establish specific metrics for each goal. The goals are owned by all divisions. Strategic initiatives will be coordinated by the President’s Cabinet.
An MPP Conference held in February 2012 launched the process for managers to develop action steps around the goals. During spring 2012 an Academic Plan will be developed as a major component to support the University Strategic Plan. Other plans will also be developed in support of the University Strategic Plan e.g., Facilities Plan, Financial Plan, Technology Plan, Human Capital Plan, etc. Attainment of goals will be regularly assessed based upon the specific metrics established. The strategic planning website will include updated information about progress related to achieving Vision 2017.
- For more information, download the SJSU Strategic Plan 2017 Executive Summary (PDF).
Watch President Qayoumi's presentation, SJSU's Place in a Changing World and the Next Generation Learning Experience.