The Tang Scholarship
Mr. Edward C. Tang established this award in 2007 to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (l/g/b/t) Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) for post-secondary Education. This scholarship is to help LGBT youth proudly achieve educational pursuits and dreams without shame. This scholarship awards up to four outstanding students annually, a combined scholarships totaling up to $60,000, awarded over up to four years. These scholarships are renewable for a maximum of three more years (a total of four years) provided each student annually meets the renewal requirements.
Previous SJSU Recipient
2007 Caroline Le
- Graduated from San Jose State University in 2007
- Graduated from Emerson College in Boston in 2009
Caroline received a total of $30,000 in scholarship
Each applicant must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Self-identified as Asian/Pacific Islander and gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender; (at least 25% API ancestry); and involved in the GLBT community;
- Graduate from a high school in one of the nine Bay Area counties; Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara County, Napa, Sonoma or Solano;
- Scholarship will be awarded for full-time (minimum 12 units for all semesters/quarters) enrollment in an accredited two, four-year university or graduate school; (college, university, community college or vocational school).
- United States citizen or legal resident;
- Demonstrated financial hardship;
- Demonstrated academic promise;
- Minimum unweighted grade point average 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0) for all schools attended or attending;
- Be between the age of 17 and 25 at the time the scholarship application is due.
The application can be found at the Tang Scholarship Website