AA Staff Development Grants 2015-2016

Frequently Asked Questions

For which kinds of things can these grants be used?

    • The grants can be used for a range of professional development activities. Examples include attending a conference or workshop in your specialty, bringing a speaker or trainer to campus, purchasing a membership to a professional organization, sponsoring a staff retreat devoted to professional development, taking training on a particular software package, etc.
    • The grants cannot be used to pay fees for state-supported classes here at SJSU. They also cannot duplicate training currently offered through HR. See the HR website for already existing training resources.

There are grants for individuals and grants for groups. Can I apply for both?

    • Yes, you may apply for both, but due to the limited amount of funding both proposals may not be approved.

How are groups formed? Does it have to be just the people from my own department?

    • No, a group doesn’t need to consist only of members of the same department. They may come from any unit in the Division of Academic Affairs. If you find other people from different units that have the same need or interest, you can form a group.

How many people have to be in a group?

    • A group is three or more people.

The announcement says that a report must be turned in within 30 days of completing the activity. Who writes that report?

    • If the grant is for an individual, the individual writes the report.
    • If the grant is for a group, all members of the group are responsible for seeing that the report is submitted. The group should designate which member will write the report and should then confirm it gets submitted by the deadline.

Who decides whether the request is funded?

    • A committee comprised of staff members will evaluate and rank the applications.

Who is supposed to sign the proposal?

    • If the grant is for an individual, the immediate supervisor signs and forwards to the department MPP.
      1. In a college, for example, the immediate supervisor might be a department chair, who would sign and then forward the proposal to the dean; or the immediate supervisor might be the College Resource Analyst, who would sign and then forward to the Dean.
      2. In an AVP unit, for example, the immediate supervisor might be an AVP, who would sign and then forward the proposal to the Deputy Provost.
    • If the grant is for a group, each member of the group would get the signature of their immediate supervisor and MPP.

What happens if the conference I want to go to will cost more than the maximum $1,500?

    • The College/Department/Unit may be able to cover some additional costs. The Proposal form has a place to list any additional funding that might be available.

Where did this money come from?

    • This is one-time funding that the Provost committed to staff professional development.

If my proposal is approved, do I still have to request permission to travel?

    • Yes. Being granted an award does not automatically include authorization to travel. Consult the Academic Affairs Travel Guide for procedures to request travel.