To provide high-quality education in psychology that fosters the development of students so that they will make worthy contributions to society.
The mission of the Department of Psychology at San Jose State University is to engage in the discovery of knowledge about the biological, sociocultural, and psychological processes that affect behavior and to share that knowledge with our students and the scholarly community. The Department integrates undergraduate and graduate education, teaching, research, applied training, and service activities to further the overall mission of the University.
In the exercise of our primary mission, the Department of Psychology will:
- support students and faculty in the exploration, discovery, and dissemination of new knowledge in psychological science.
- provide a collaborative environment for faculty and students that cultivates intellectual curiosity and in which research and teaching are closely integrated and highly valued.
- graduate students who evidence psychological literacy and thereby prepare students for advanced study in psychology or related fields and for employment. Psychological literacy includes having a critical understanding of psychological concepts, theories and methods, and applying psychological principles and methods to solving personal, interpersonal and social problems.
- value diversity and advance equality and inclusiveness by:
- promoting the fundamental rights, dignity, and worth of all individuals and create a climate of understanding and respect among diverse individuals;
- respecting cultural, individual, and role differences in age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, and socioeconomic status, and;
- fostering and integrating multiculturalism at both a didactic and personal level.
- provide educational experiences that promote understanding of behavioral and psychological processes of relevance across disciplines.
- apply our psychological expertise to address the needs of our local communities, the people of California, and beyond.