(Virtual) Drop-In Undergraduate Advising
- Modality of Advising
- Drop-in: currently unavailable given COVID-19 related restrictions
Phone: may not be availble given that advisors are unlikely to be on campus
e-mail (always available): advisors should respond quickly during advising times
Zoom room: used by some advisors for synchronous (immediate) availability during advising times
Zoom meetings: can be set up for one-on-one virtual (video) meetings with advisors
Please come PREPARED for advising.
- Online application for Graduation
- press the "apply for graduation" link on MyAcademics page after examing your outstanding requirements via the MyProgress report (and meeting with your major and minor advisor)
- all but same semester (or double-major) applications for graduation are entirely online
- if the "apply for graduation" link does not yet exist for you (see .pdf above), talk with an advisor.
- Psychology majors with an HSI minor will need a paper HSI minor form
- Adding or changing a Psychology major or minor is initiated by an advisor using an online
- run myAcademics "what if" and have your transfer credit report and unofficial SJSU transcipt ready
- changing graduation date, or other SJSU forms (include requested attachments)
- Forms (Office of the Registrar)
- some of this will be done online but the information from the forms and from "MyAcademics --> MyProgress" (or a "what if" assessment of a psychology degree) can help speed the process.
- Forms (Office of the Registrar)
- PSYC advising & major forms
- for most students we use the computer degree audit, the hardcopy BA Major or BS Major forms can be useful for planning (or are used for same semester applications for graduation and doublemajors)
- there are 2 and 4 year planners for the BA and the BS (also see MyPlanner); most students will now use the Fall 2019 version of the BA program.
- see "MyGPS" for a suite of helpful tools for planing and advisement at SJSU
- Declaring Psychology under Impaction:
http://www.sjsu.edu/psych/Forms-Docs/Policies/Declaring_a_Major_Under_Impaction-Revised-2011.pdf (updated to 2.75 psyc gpa + 6 or 12 units minimum in psyc/stat/prep)
Each graduate program has one faculty member designated as the program coordinator who is also the official program advisor. Graduate students who are writing a thesis also choose a thesis advisor from among the faculty.
Spring 2020 ADVISING
ends May 11
(No Advising Mar 30-April 3; Spring Break)
- Due to the 03/16/20 "Shelter in Place" Directive, advising will be conducted remotely March 17 through at least April 7.
- See each advisor below for modality (email, zoom, etc.)
- All paperwork will be done electronically (see advisor for help as needed)
Dr. Mark Van Selst
DMH 314 | 408-924-5674 (email preferred) / 415.309.0160 cell | Mark.VanSelst@SJSU.edu
- March 16 - April 7 Email and Zoom Advising (email to set up zoom session)
- Mon 11:30-1:30 PM
- Tue 12:00-3:00 PM (Not Mar 17; May 5)
- Wed 11:30-1:30 PM (Not Mar 18; May 6)
Dr. Cheryl Chancellor-Freeland
DMH 317 | 408-924-5645 (email preferred) | Cheryl.Chancellor-Freeland@SJSU.edu
- March 16 - 27 Email Advising
- Tue 10:30-11:30 4:30-6:30 PM
- Thu 10:30-11:30 4:30-6:30 PM (Not Apr 30)
Dr. Megumi Hosoda
DMH 315 | 408-924-5637 (email preferred) | Megumi.Hosoda@SJSU.edu
- March 16 - April 7 Email Advising (Zoom TBD)
- Mon 1:20-4:20 PM
- Wed 1:20-4:20 PM (not Mar 4)
Dr. Patrick Cravalho
DMH 319| 408-924-5622 (email preferred) | Patrick.Cravalho@SJSU.edu
- March 16 - April 7 Zoom Advising (links below)
- NOTE: A password is needed to access the links below. Please email Dr. Cravalho prior to using the link in order to get a meeting password.
- Tuesdays 9:00 - 11:00 AM
- Thursday 9:00 - 11:00 AM
In the rare case that a student cannot be accommodated within the drop-in times posted above, a Psychology Advisor may be able to schedule an advising appointment outside of posted hours. Please contact them directly. This is NOT a preferred option and may require lead time. Summer and winter advising can be limited.
Students can meet with any faculty member for general advising, but should meet with the currently active advisor(s) when a signature is needed and/or for special circumstances.
The ACCESS Center also has General Advising (esp. re: GE): http://www.sjsu.edu/access/
If you choose to email multiple advisors the same question, please CC each so that we know if you've been responded to.