Drop-In Undergraduate Advising
Please come PREPARED for advising.
- Online application for Graduation
- press the "apply for graduation" link on MyAcademics page after examing your outstanding requirements via the MyProgress report (and meeting with your major and minor advisor)
- all but same semester (or double-major) applications for graduation are entirely online
- if the "apply for graduation" link does not yet exist for you (see .pdf above), talk with an advisor.
- Psychology majors with an HSI minor will need a paper HSI minor form
- Adding or changing a Psychology major or minor is initiated by an advisor using an online
- run myAcademics "what if" and have your transfer credit report and unofficial SJSU transcipt ready
- changing graduation date, or other SJSU forms (bring requested attachments)
- Forms (Office of the Registrar)
- some of this will be done online but the information from the forms is useful
- MyAcademics --> MyProgress (or a "what if" assessment of a psychology degree)
- Forms (Office of the Registrar)
- PSYC advising & major forms
- for most students we use the computer degree audit, the hardcopy BA Major or BS Major forms can be useful for planning (or are used for same semester applications for graduation)
- there are 2 and 4 year planners for the BA and the BS (also see MyPlanner); most students will now use the Fall 2019 version of the BA program (earlier catalog years can be tested via a "what if" report)
- see "MyGPS" for a suite of helpful tools for planing and advisement at SJSU
- Declaring Psychology under Impaction:
http://www.sjsu.edu/psych/Forms-Docs/Policies/Declaring_a_Major_Under_Impaction-Revised-2011.pdf (updated to 2.75 psyc gpa + 6 or 12 units minimum in psyc/stat/prep)
Each graduate program has one faculty member designated as the program coordinator who is also the official program advisor. Graduate students who are writing a thesis also choose a thesis advisor from among the faculty.
Spring 2020 ADVISING
Starts Jan 23, ends May 11
(No Advising Mar 30-April 3; Spring Break)
Dr. Mark Van Selst
DMH 314 | 408-924-5674 (email preferred) | Mark.VanSelst@SJSU.edu
- Mon 11:30-1:30 PM
- Tue 12:00-3:00 PM (Not Mar 10, 17; May 5)
- Wed 11:30-1:30 PM (Not Mar 11, 18; May 6)
Dr. Cheryl Chancellor-Freeland
DMH 317 | 408-924-5645 (email preferred) | Cheryl.Chancellor-Freeland@SJSU.edu
- Tue 10:30-11:30 4:30-6:30 PM
- Thu 10:30-11:30 4:30-6:30 PM (Not Apr 30)
Dr. Megumi Hosoda
DMH 315 | 408-924-5637 (email preferred) | Megumi.Hosoda@SJSU.edu
- Mon 1:20-4:20 PM
- Wed 1:20-4:20 PM (not Mar 4)
Dr. Patrick Cravalho
DMH 319| 408-924-5622 (email preferred) | Patrick.Cravalho@SJSU.edu
- Tuesday 9:00 - 11:00 AM
- Thursday 9:00 - 11:00 AM (Not Apr 30)
In the rare case that a student cannot be accommodated within the drop-in times posted above, a Psychology Advisor may be able to schedule an advising appointment outside of posted hours. Please contact them directly. This is NOT a preferred option and may require lead time. Summer and winter advising can be limited.
Students can meet with any faculty member for general advising, but should meet with the currently active advisor(s) when a signature is needed and/or for special circumstances.
The ACCESS Center also has General Advising (esp. re: GE): http://www.sjsu.edu/access/
If you choose to email multiple advisors the same question, please CC each so that we know if you've been responded to.