Drop-in Advising Hours

image: Two students working together

Old Major Forms [.pdf]
Transfer Planning
General Advising
Additional Information
Graduate Advising
Other Resources


Separate advising arrangements are provided for the undergraduate and graduate programs. For graduate programs, check with your program coordinator. For undergradaute programs, check the advising hours posted.

Many students benefit from contact with other (non-advisor) psychology faculty whose area of expertise matches their own interests. These people are often useful sources of information and provide important mentoring and can provide informal career guidance.

Undergraduate Advising 1.2.3.

1. Meet With Your Advisor

  • Check our current advising hours.
  • Meet with a Faculty Advisor at least once a year.
  • If you are not yet a Psychology Major (per MySJSU), then read our policy, "Declaring a Psychology Major Under Impaction (pdf)," and complete a Change of Major form if you meet the impaction criteria.
  • Remember to bring your (1) major form, (2) MySJSU degree progress report, and (3) any unofficial transcripts for courses that are not yet included in the degree audit.

2. Planning your major

  • for your purposes, you might want to download the appropriate Major Form:
    Current Forms
  • Log in to MySJSU, use "degree progress" to access your "academic advising report" (use what if)
  • If a transfer student, check for course articulation between your CC and SJSU -- just because it has a similar name does NOT mean the course will automatically qualify. Similarly, even if we do not have a posted articulation agreement with your transfer institution, we MAY accept the course (see an advisor to confirm any non-posted articulation -- you MAY need a course equivalency form to tell future advisors that the course has been deemed as an acceptable alternative for psychology). A lower division course (e.g., any from a community college) will not articulate against an upper division course (SJSU course number greater than 99)

3. Graduate!

  • use myacademics link to apply for graduation.  If the link does not appear, contact an advisor.  You should apply approximately a year before the term in which you expect to fulfill all degree requirements (minimum "priority" dates are posted online).
  • Meet with your Minor Advisor (if applicable) and have your minor form completed and signed (major forms are generally not needed, minor forms are generally still used [electronic version].