Research Participation - Introduction and Information
Signing up for a SONA account
Accessing the online system:
Login at: http://sjsu.sona-systems.com/
All Psych 1 students are required to participate in psychology research experiments
for a total of 4 hours. The 4 hours must be completed by the December 12th, 2016, deadline in order to receive credit for the course. This research experience is
not only required by the department as part of the Psychology 1 curriculum, but if,
you participate willingly, you will learn a great deal about how psychology works.
Who knows, you may like what you see and become a Psychology researcher!
- You have a total of 4 hours to complete
- Half of your research credit participation or 2 hours must be completed with in-person lab studies. (Research participation will count
towards your course grade.)
- You need to have at least 1hour completed by October 1, 2016. If not completed by that time, you will receive an email
noting your need to begin participation in the research pool.
- You can participate in each experiment only once.
- If you cannot show up at your appointment, please inform your researcher! A 24-hour
advance notice is required. Any student who does not provide 24-hour notice will need
to make up the missed hours with the Alternative Assignment.
- Show up on time. Be respectful to the researchers. Follow all directions and guidelines.
- Some studies may vary in their emphasis on how much effort should be placed in their
experiments. Meaning they can give you a fraction of the credit that you expected
to receive. For instance, although the study was slated as being one hour in credit,
because you didn’t take the study seriously, they could decide to only give you .5
- Points awarded will be commensurate with the effort expended by participants in studies
- You will be awarded only a fraction of the total credit hours associated with the study :
-Should you elect not to continue your participation in a study.
-In the event that your completion of a study was done in an unreasonably short period
- Research participation will be treated as a course assignment worth 6% of the final
course grade. To obtain the full 6%, you will need to complete 4 hours of research
participation (1.5% per hour).
- If you elect to not participate in research, you can consider the alternative assignment
option for full or partial credit for your research hours. Please see the distributed
handouts on alternative assignment for details on the requirements.
- All research hours and alternative assignments must be completed by December 12th, 2016
- Do not wait until the last couple of weeks to complete this assignment! Create your
SONA account within the first few weeks of the semester and log-on frequently; appointments
may be hard to come by!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I do a combination of Research Studies and the Alternative Assignment?
Q: Are all the studies held on campus?
A: It depends on the study. Most will be on campus, but we do have studies off campus
from time to time. Online studies are also available.
Q: How long are the studies?
A: The credit hours will be listed on the studies page in SONA. The research study
credit hours are provided in 30 minute increments. Hence, there are studies that give
you 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, etcetera to complete. Studies typically
last 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Q: What kinds of studies are available?
A: The research pool is open to all professors and students conducting psychological
research. Thus, experiments represent various fields in psychology from social attitudes
to human factors.