Please go to "How to apply for Graduation" page.
Please go to "Deadlines to Apply for Graduation" page.
The Graduation Worksheets are processed in date order from the time they are received in the office. When yours will be done depends on the number of students who have applied before you. If you apply by the priority deadline, the worksheet will be mailed to you one semester prior to your anticipated graduation date.
If it is a change to your major or minor requirements, meet with your major or minor advisor. Do not submit a revised major or minor form unless you are changing your major or minor. Complete and submit a Substitution form(PDF) that can be found on the Registrar's website.
Students who havealready received their graduation worksheets after their files are being evaluated will not receive an updated one. Students can track their progress by using their worksheet as a checklist, marking off courses/requirements that have been fulfilled as they approach graduation.
Students who have submitted their graduation application but have not yet received their worksheets can view their unofficial transcript via MySJSU and compare it against their major/minor form(s) and their degree progress report to see what courses are outstanding.
The Commencement Ceremony is intended to celebrate those students who have officially graduated in the preceding Summer and Fall semesters and for students who anticipate graduating in the Spring semester of the current year. You may attend the ceremony if you fall in one of these groups. However, participating in the Commencement Ceremony is not the same as graduating from SJSU. You will officially graduate once ALL degree requirements have been met. If you have not completed ALL degree requirements by the end of your anticipated graduation term, you will need to change your graduation date.
See more about Commencement.
If you will not be able to complete all your degree requirements by your anticipated graduation date, the graduation date change form should be submitted at least two months prior to your anticipated graduation date. The date change form is located on the Registrar's forms link titled “Graduation Date Change”. There is a $10 processing fee which can be paid at the Bursar's Office. The receipted date change form must be submitted to Window R. You may also submit a written request with a check for $10, and be sure to indicate your SID and current mailing address on the request.
You will need to check your MySJSU under unofficial transcript. Once your degree has been posted, it will show that your degree requirements have been completed along with Degree conferment date.
In order to qualify for Latin Honors, your SJSU AND Overall GPA's must meet the minimum GPA requirements. The honors notation will be noted on the official transcript and diploma.
To qualify BOTH the final SJSU and Overall GPA's must be:
- 3.85 and above Summa Cum Laude
- 3.70 and above Magna Cum Laude
- 3.50 and above Cum Laude
No. After you have graduated, your undergraduate record is sealed. No changes will be made on the undergraduate record.
Undergraduate Duplicate diploma
Duplicate diploma requests are ordered bi-weekly and may take approximately at least 4 weeks to receive the diploma. There is a $10 fee per duplicate diploma. Download the Duplicate Diploma Request(PDF) .
Graduate Duplicate diploma
Graduate students, please download a Graduate Duplicate Diploma Request(PDF).
Undergraduate duplicate diploma orders are ordered bi-weekly it may take approximately at least 4 weeks to receive the diploma. There's a $10 fee per duplicate diploma.
For graduate duplicate diploma, please contact Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluation(GAPE).
- Earn a minimum of 120 semester units - Some degrees require more than the 120 units. Link to catalog.
- Earn a minimum of 30 semester units in residence - You must earn a minimum of 30 units at SJSU, including 24 upper division and 12 in your major. A maximum of 24 units of Open University may be applied toward your degree.
- Earn a minimum of 40 upper division units - You must earn a minimum of 40 units in courses numbered 100 and above.
- Physical Education Requirement - All students must complete two (2) units of physical activity courses from two different Kinesiology/Dance courses. To challenge the requirement, students must consult the Department of Kinesiology at least one semester prior to graduation. Only one intercollegiate Athletics course may be used to fulfill one unit of the physical education graduation requirement.
- Complete your General Education Requirements - See your Academic Advising Report on MySJSU.
- Satisfy your Major/Minor Requirements
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 GPA - A minimum of 2.00 GPA is required in your SJSU, Overall, Major and Minor coursework.
Your name will appear in the Commencement book exactly as it appears on your SJSU records. Steps below show you how to review and file for a change:
- Log on to MySJSU.
- Look at a copy of your unofficial SJSU transcript. Your name will appear exactly as listed at the top of your record.
- If your name is not listed correctly, you must complete a Name Change request(PDF). NOTE: Name changes must be accompanied by photocopies of legal documentation pertaining to your name change such as court documents or marriage certificate and a photocopy of an original identification card with a recent photo to verify new name such as a driver's license, passport or immigration card.
- Submit the Change of Name form at the window "R" at the Student Services Center(SSC).
Students are not able to edit their diploma name on MySJSU. Your name will appear on your diploma exactly as it appears on your transcript. If you would like to edit either your diploma name or your official name on your record, you must complete a Name Change request(PDF) with our office.
Please logon to MySJSU to edit your "Diploma mailing address" under your "Personal Information".