A permission number (also known as an “add code”) is a 5 or 6-digit number given to students, by the instructor or department of the course, which enables the student to enroll in a course.
Students can obtain permission number by contacting instructor in person, via phone or email. If an instructor is not listed for the course, contact the department offering the course.
Permission numbers are needed when:
- MySJSU notes "instructor or department consent is required".
- MySJSU notes "you do not have the prerequisite(s) for a particular course when you attempted to register". If you have completed the course prerequisite, submit an unofficial transcript as proof to the instructor. Exceptions: WST passing and Upper Division Standing.
Add a class with a permission number: Students log onto MySJSU and select the class to add. A box to enter a permission number will appear on the next screen. Proceed to the next steps until finished enrolling. See Tutorial for screen shots [pdf].
- Permission numbers are given at the discretion of the instructor or department.
- A unique permission number must be issued to each student
- Permission numbers do not expire until successfully used by add deadline. See add deadline of specific semester on Registration calendar.
- A permission number for a particular section of the course is good for that section only.
- Permission numbers can not override time conflicts. Thereby, instructors need to provide a Time Conflict Memo on department letterhead, indicating that the student will be accommodated. The student needs to submit the letter in person at Window "R", in the Student Services Center(SSC). Registrar's Office staff will enroll the student
See SJSU catalog regarding Instructor Consent or Department consent.