CSU Council on Ocean Affairs, Science & Technology (COAST)
COAST promotes research and education to advance our knowledge of marine and coastal resources and the processes that affect them and disseminates scientific information to stakeholders for the development of responsible policy statewide. The scope of COAST includes
- The open and coastal ocean;
- Coastal zones (bays, estuaries, beaches);
- Coastal watersheds: there must be clear and direct linkages between the organism, material or process in the watershed and the coast or ocean (e.g., anadromous fish, surface and groundwater flow, water quality).
Work supported by COAST is NOT limited to California. Please visit the COAST about page for more information.
What type of funding is available?
Student Grant Programs
- Graduate Student Research Awards: $3,000 awards for research/living expenses to graduate students engaged in marine, coastal and coastal watershed research with CSU COAST faculty members. Application deadline: Monday, October 23, 2017, 5:00 p.m. PDT.
- Student Travel Awards: travel support for continuing undergraduate and graduate students to attend and present the results of original marine, coastal and coastal watershed research at scientific meetings and conferences. Rolling deadline, funding available for January 1-June 30, 2018.
- COAST Undergraduate Student Research Support Program - September 29, 2017
- Student Internships: PAID summer internships with state and federal agencies, non-profit organizations and industry. Internships for Summer 2018 will be announced in January 2018.
Faculty Grant Programs
- Seminar Speaker Series Program: we encourage any department to consider applying for funds for Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 to host a speaker from another CSU campus to talk about his/her marine, coastal or coastal watershed related research. Rolling deadline.
- Short Course, Workshop and Symposia Funding Program: develop and host a short course, workshop or symposium on any topic that falls within or is related to the scope of COAST. Rolling deadline.
- Grant Development Program: seed grants for faculty members to develop and submit full proposals for extramural funding. RFP for AY 2018-19 will be released in November 2017.
Please visit the COAST Funding page for specific awards information.
How is funding awarded?
Funding for COAST is awarded to the College/Department. The College/Department Budget Analyst should be consulted during grant development to advise on allowable expenses and categories (e.g., hourly wages) and prior to expenditures once awarded.
How do I get support?
The Office of Research will assist students and faculty with grant development for
COAST request. Please contact the Office of Research at 408-924-2272 or email@example.com. For more detailed information on COAST, please feel free to reach out to any of
the SJSU COAST Representative:
Pam Stacks - Associate Vice President of Research, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Shaffer - Professor of Biology, email@example.com
Ryan Portner - Assistant Professor of Geology, firstname.lastname@example.org