A purchase order is a document generated by Research Foundation purchasing that authorizes a purchase transaction. When accepted by the vendor (seller), it becomes a contract binding on both the vendor and the Research Foundation.
A purchase order sets forth the descriptions, quantities, prices, discounts, payment terms, date of performance or shipment, other associated terms and conditions and identifies a specific vendor. The steps for requesting a Research Foundation purchase order are below.
- Complete and sign a purchase requisition form.
- Attach the quote from the vendor and any other supporting documentation to the form.
- Forward the signed and completed form to the Research Foundation at ext. zip 0139. For rush orders please scan and email the form and supporting documentation to your sponsored programs/self-support analyst indicating it is a "rush" order for immediate processing and send the originals to ext. zip 0139.
- The sponsored programs/self-support analyst will review and forward to purchasing.
- Purchasing will review and issue a purchase order.
- Purchasing will then place the order by sending the purchase order to the vendor.
- After the vendor receives the purchase order the product is shipped.
- The vendor then sends an invoice to Research Foundation accounts payable requesting payment.
- The accounts payable department will then contact the requestor (PI or Project Staff) to confirm the product was received.
- After the requestor confirms that the product was received a payment will be sent to the vendor by the invoice due date and charged to the account specified on the purchase requisition form.
For compliance reasons some orders over $5,000 may require three quotations or sole source documentation. Services for an activity that warrants additional protection may also require a certificate of insurance from the vendor with an "additional insured endorsement" stipulating that the SJSU Research Foundation are additional insured under the vendor insurance policy.