The San José State University Research Foundation provides a competitive benefits package for its eligible benefited employees. Please note that Research Foundation employees are not State or government employees. However, because of its close association and affiliation with SJSU, the Research Foundation is able to provide comparable and competitive benefits to its benefited employees and their eligible dependent(s).
Eligible benefited employees are those employees whose appointments are at least 50% time and are expected to exceed six months’ duration.
Employees holding a concurrent appointment with the Research Foundation and San Jose State University who are eligible for benefits from both institutions may only receive benefits from one source. An employee or eligible dependent(s) cannot have dual coverage through CalPERS.
The Research Foundation offers nine health plans to benefited employees. Three are PPO plans (PERSCare, PERSChoice, PERS Select) and six are HMO plans (Blue Shield Access +, Kaiser, Anthem Select, Anthem Traditional, HealthNet, and Western Health Advantage and all are available through CALPERS. The Foundation pays an established monthly amount toward employee and dependent coverage, and the employee is responsible for a co-payment amount depending upon their level of coverage (Employee; Employee+1; Employee family). Eligibility for enrollment for employees and dependent (s) begins on the first day of the month following the employee’s start date, assuming prompt and timely entry and submission of plan elections. Employees can review their benefit options and make their plan elections on line, throught the Benefits Connect site, located at this link: https://enroll.benefitsconnect.net/Login/V2.
Research Foundation benefited employees and their currently eligible dependents are eligible to enroll in a dental benefits plan through AXA. The Research Foundation currently pays 100% of the dental premium for both employees and their currently eligible dependents. Enrollment in the dental plan is effective on the first day of the month following the employee’s start date, assuming timely submission of enrollment via the Benefits Connect site.
Research Foundation benefited employees and their currently eligible dependents are eligible to enroll in a vision plan through AXA. The Research Foundation currently pays 100% of the vision premium for both employees and their currently eligible dependents. Enrollment in the vision plan is effective first day of the month following the employee’s start date, assuming timely submission of enrollment via the Benefits Connect site.
Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
The Research Foundation also provides a benefited employee with Group (Term) Life as well as AD&D Insurance. Both insurance coverages are offered at the Research Foundation’s own cost. The Life and AD&D plans are administered by AXA. The employee’s beneficiary is eligible to receive one (1) times the employee’s gross annual salary rounded to the nearest thousand, to a maximum of $250,000. Under the AD&D benefit, an employee receives specified benefits for a covered accidental bodily injury that directly causes dismemberment (examples: loss of a hand, foot, or eye). Benefited employees are eligible for coverage in the Life and AD&D plans on the first day of the month following their start date, assuming timely submission of enrollment via the Benefits Connect site.
Long Term Disability Insurance
The Research Foundation also provides a benefited employee LTD insurance coverage at the Research Foundation’s own cost. This plan is also administered by AXA. This plan provides specified benefits to an employee if he or she becomes disabled and unable to work due to non-work related injury or illness. Benefited employees are eligible for coverage in the LTD plan on the first day of the month following their start date, assuming timely submission of enrollment via the Benefits Connect site.
Employee Assistance Program
An employee assistance program offered through CONCERN EAP plan provides information, referral and short term counseling for problems affecting the employee’s work or their personal life. There is no cost to the employee for this benefit.
Flexible Spending Accounts
The FSA accounts allow an employee to pay for health co-payments on a pre-tax basis. The plan also allows an employee to set aside funds, on a pre-tax basis, to cover unreimbursed medical care, dependent care, and commuter expenses. Employee can contribute up to $2,700 per calendar year for unreimbursed medical and related expenses, up to $5,000 per year for dependent care expenses, $260.00 per month for public transit and $100 per month for parking.
The Research Foundation recognizes thirteen (13) paid holidays. Employees must be on the payroll the day the holiday is observed in order to earn holiday pay.
Vacation hour accruals begin immediately following a benefited employee’s start date. The number of vacation hour accruals vary, depending upon assignment, employee status, and length of employment. Part-time employees receive vacation accrual in proportion to their percentage. Accrued but unused vacation hours are paid out upon termination of Research Foundation employment.
Sick Leave Accumulations
Sick leave hour accumulations are credited at the rate of four hours per semi- monthly pay period for full time employees. Part time employees earn sick leave based on the percentage of time they work. Project employees may accumulate 96 hours on a continuing grant. Accumulated but unused sick leave hours are not paid out at the end of a Research Foundation employment.
403(b) Retirement Plan:
One Plan with Two Separate Components:
- Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA): This is an employee tax deferral plan and consists entirely of employee contributions. This plan allows an employee to enroll and make contributions into their retirement plan on a pre-tax basis, up to the IRS maximum amounts allowable for that year. An employee can begin to make contributions into this plan, administered by TIAA–CREF, on the first date of the month following their start date, assuming timely enrollment, online or paper, with TIAA-CREF. An employee is always 100% vested as to funds placed into this plan.
- Retirement Annuity (RA) Plan: This Plan is a “Defined Contribution” plan and consists entirely of employer contributions. An employee is eligible to participate in this Plan, also administered by TIAA–CREF, on the on the first of the month following completion of one year of service (assuming a minimum of 1,000 hours worked). Once an employee qualifies, the Employee must complete enrollment, online or via paper enrollment, to initiate the Employer’s contribution. The Research Foundation currently contributes 7% of the employee’s base wages into this plan each semi-monthly pay period. The employee is always 100% vested in funds placed into this plan. The employee is urged to enroll in a timely manner for this benefit, as the plan does not allow “backdated” contributions.
Employees who are eligible for this benefit receive Research Foundation-subsidized post-retirement health benefits for themselves and for their eligible dependents once they retire.
An Employee qualifies for this benefit if they:
- Are age sixty (60) years and older at the time of their retirement; and
- Have accrued a minimum of ten (10) years of benefited service within twenty (20) years of employment prior to their retirement; and
- Are enrolled in a Research Foundation group health plan at the time of retirement.
NOTE: This only applies to continued medical benefits. Dental and vision are not provided under the Research Foundation’s post-retirement medical benefit, except as to COBRA program eligibility.
The following additional benefits are also available to employees:
- Permit parking for any Central Office or San Jose State University parking lot can be set up through payroll deductions.
- Employees of the Research Foundation are eligible to become members and take advantage of favorable rates for banking options (checking, savings, direct deposits) with the Santa Clara County Federal Credit Union and with Bank of the West, a full service bank.
- AFLAC provides voluntary products including personal cancer indemnity and short term disability.
Employees are notified as changes or modifications occur to the benefits package provided by the Research Foundation.