The Science Education Program occasionally offers scholarships to reimburse CSET exam fees and other expenses for students applying to the SJSU single subject credential program in science. For questions regarding the scholarships, please email Cheryl Eng at email@example.com.
Spring 2014: Science Education MSTI Scholarship
Award Amount: $500- $1,000
Available scholarships: dependent on the number of applicants
Application Deadline: Monday, 4/07/2014
Who can apply for this scholarship: Prospective Science Teacher Students to the Secondary Education Program / Students that have received a scholarship from the SJSU Science Education Scholars Program.
Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to becoming a science teacher. The following students are eligible to apply for the Fall 2014 semester:
- Any student who has applied to the Single Subject Credential Program in Science and has been either accepted or conditionally accepted for the upcoming Summer/Fall 2014 Semester.
- Students who have received a scholarship previously from the SJSU Science Education Scholars Program are invited to reapply again.
Note: Open University students are not eligible for this scholarship.
Specific eligibility criteria also include the following:
- Students must be in good academic standing.
- Students must be enrolled in the Single Subject Credential Program and taking courses as early as Summer 2014 semester or the Fall 2014 semester.
- Other factors that may be considered are previous academic performance, financial need and proximity to degree/program completion.
The completed application package must be received by 3 pm on Monday, 4/7/2014 in the Science Education Program Office (DH 224).
The following materials must be submitted as one package by the filing date:
- SJSU Science Education Scholarship Program application form.
- Copy of SJSU transcripts (which may be “unofficial”) and/or transcripts from university or universities attended immediately prior to entering the credential program. (Failure to submit appropriate transcripts documenting your student record will result in immediate disqualification.)
- A personal statement describing your commitment to teaching science and why you are applying for a Science Education scholarship. We recommend that you spend time composing and editing your essay carefully, as it carries a significant amount of weight in the committee’s evaluation of your application. This statement should be approximately 350-500 words.
- A letter of recommendation from someone acquainted with your academic achievements and your potential success as a teacher.
Spring 2014: Science Education Scholarship Endowment Fund
Award Amount: $1,250
Available scholarships: 2
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 4/15/2014
Who can apply for this scholarship: Prospective Students or current Science Education Program Students.
Fully matriculated upper division undergraduates or students in the regular single subjects credential program in Science or phase II student teachers. Factors considered: financial need, nearness to degree/program completion, academic performance, and commitment to teaching.
Applicants must have the following:
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- Have applied for Financial Aid
- Have applied for or are enrolled in the Credential Teaching Program (Science Education Program or Prep to Teach in
If you would like to apply for this scholarship, please go to STARS () and apply online.
Spring 2014: Susan Barling-Frye Memorial Scholarship
Award Amount: $2,000
Available scholarships: 1
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 4/15/2014
Who can apply for this scholarship: Current Science Education Program Students (Students that are currently enrolled in SCED 173/SCED 375)
The scholarship was established to provide scholarships for students in the College of Science teaching credential Program (Science Education Program).
Applicants must be:
- Students in the College of Science teaching credential Program (Science Education Program) or in the Prep to teach in the Department of Biological Sciences.
- GPA is not a consideration.
If you would like to apply for this scholarship, please go to STARS and apply online.