How do I join a research group?
If you have decided that you want to try your hand at research, these are the steps you should follow:
- Pick a group(s) you are interested in. You should browse the web sites of the various faculty-led research groups in the College (listed here by Department) and pick one or two that you think are interesting and that you’d like to pursue further.
- Send an e-mail to the professor and request an appointment to talk about research. It is helpful if you tell the professor your current level (i.e. sophomore, junior, etc.) and your major. It is not required that you perform research in the same department that runs your major, although most students do.
- Meet with the professor. Try to find out specifically what your project would be and how much time commitment is required. This is also a great opportunity to see first-hand what the professor’s mentoring style is like and if that’s a good fit for you.
- After you find a group and mentor that feel like a good fit for you, join up! You typically will enroll in at least 1 unit of 180 (undergraduate research) each semester that you participate.
- Have fun! This may well prove to be one of the most transformational experiences in your career.