Contact Information

Randy Kirchner
(408) 924-5004 (office)
(408) 910-1267 (after hours or urgent responses only)
Duncan Hall 435

Stanley Vaughn
(408) 924-4808 (office)
(408) 499-3890 (after hours or urgent responses only)
Duncan Hall 15

The CoS Safety team responds to chemical spills, schedules and performs staff, student, and faculty awareness training, and manages chemical waste for the College of Science. 

In the event of an emergency and you are unable to contact us, please call 911.  To contact University Police directly, call (408) 924-2222 or 4-2222 from any campus phone.


What to do in an emergency and will provide access to the UPD Emergency Procedures Handbook.

Accidents: What to do if there is an accident or injury

All accidents and injuries involving SJSU employees, visitors, and students must file a report a as described by the SJSU Adminstration and Finance Division. Students and visitors must fill out a Student/Visitor Accident Report form and file with Risk Management. SJSU employees must fill out an Employee Report form. Individuals employed by the SJSU Research Foundation must fill out an appropriate Injury/Illness/Accident Report form. A report copy should also be provided to the appropriate College of Science department office. 


Meet our team.

Safety Inspection Program

The College of Science performs regular safety inspections of all of its laboratory spaces in which potentially hazardous activities occur. The policies and procedures for safety inspections are described here.

Awareness Training

Schedules and/or materials available for the awareness level training that is state and federally mandated for everyone within the College of Science.

Building Notification Protocols

Building evacuations for Duncan Hall, Science building and MacQuarrie Hall and who the emergency contact people are for these buildings.

Hazard Recognition

How to recognize hazards, fire and the fire triangle, potential and indeterminate hazards, health effects, exposure guides, routes of entry and noise.


For those of you who may be pregnant or thinking about getting pregnant, view a link to the Proposition 65 (Public Right to Know) website that has the complete list of Prop 65 chemicals.

Hazardous Waste Disposal

Information for those who deal with hazardous wastes. Get the Department of Transportation's list of 9 hazard classes and the National Fire Prevention Association's information on the NFPA diamond; what it means and what the numbers signify.

Safety Committee

Information regarding the COS Safety Committee meetings.

MSDS Requests

If you are working in the lab and the Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS or SDS) binder (that should already be in your lab or back office) does not contain the MSDS for the chemical that you are using at that location, you have two options: 1) contact the Associate Dean of Research and request the MSDS needed; 2) find the on-line MSDS at this link.