Updated April 25, 2013
The Academic Senate met on April 15, 2013. The President approved S13-3, Temporary Accommodation for Degree Programs Reducing to 120 Units. The Senate approved two Senate Management Resolutions SM-S13-1, Making Senator Buzanski an Honorary Senator, and SM-S13-2, Suspending bylaw 1.5. The Senate also approved one Sense of the Senate Resolution, SS-S13-1, Urging Amendments to CA SB 520 to Better Achieve its Purpose of Fostering Innovation in Teaching in CA Higher Education.
Senators Frazier and Bacich were re-elected from the College of Humanities and that Arts to the Senate.
The Senate received presentations on the Academic Plan, the Athletics Board, and a report from the Taskforce on Student Engagement. You may read the presentations in the Senate minutes of April 15, 2013 when posted.
The Senate approved the 2013-2014 Senate Calendar.
Actions Taken by or Events Involving the Academic Senate
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2012/Spring 2013 (pdf)
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2013/Spring 2014 (pdf)
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2012/2013
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers. (pdf)
Opportunity for University Service
- There are quite a few committee vacancies. View the list of senate committee vacancies.
- If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees.
Recent Senate Policies
Recent policies Passed by the Senate in Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 and Signed by President Qayoumi, Thereby Becoming University Policy
- S13-3, Policy Recommendation, Temporary Accommodation for Degree Programs Reducing to 120 Units (pdf)
- S13-2, Policy Recommendation, Adoption of University Learning Goals (pdf)
- F12-7, Policy Recommendation, Enrollment Priorities for Former Students Returning (FSRs) (pdf)
- F12-6, Policy Recommendation, Evaluation in Effectiveness in Teaching for all Faculty, Replaces S91-9, S06-6, F83-2, S08-1, S83-12, S08-6, S89-6, S73-8, F12-1 (pdf)
- F12-5, Policy Recommendation, Responding to Allegations of Research Misconduct, Replaces S99-10 (pdf)
- F12-4, Policy Recommendation, Omnibus Recision of Lapsed and Obsolete Policies Previously Recommended by the Professional Standards Committee (pdf)
- F12-3, Policy Recommendation, Amending the Period of Review, S98-8, Retention, Tenure, and Promotion Criteria, Standards and Procedures for Regular Faculty Employees (pdf)
- F12-2, Policy Recommendation, To Keep the Administration of SOTES in Fall 2012 and Winter 2013 Unchanged while SJSU Works to Adjust Policies to the New Contract (pdf)
Recent Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed in Fall 2012 and Spring 2013
- SS-S13-1, Urging Amendments to California SB 520 to Better Achieve its Purpose of Fostering Innovation in Teaching in California Higher Education (pdf)
- SS-F12-4, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Commending AS on the 2013 Campus-Wide Voter Registration Drive (pdf)
- SS-F12-3, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Using a Shared Governance Model to Preserve Integrative Learning within a 120 Unit Limit (pdf)
- SS-F12-2, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Urging that California Voters Become Well Informed About the Current State of Funding for Public Education in California and the Potential Impacts of Passage or Failure of Proposition 30 (pdf)
- SS-F12-1, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Regarding the Search for a New Chancellor (pdf)
Recent Senate Management Resolutions Passed in Fall 2012 and Spring 2012, and Spring 2013
- SM-S13-2, Suspends Senate By-Law 1.5 (pdf)
- SM-S13-1, Senate Management Resolution, Thanking Senator Peter Buzanski for Many Years of Dedicated Service to the Academic Senate and Appointing Him Honorary Senator (pdf)
- SM-S12-2, Senate Management Resolution, Change to the Composition of the Strategic Planning Board (pdf)
- SM-S12-1, Senate Management Resolution, AUTEC Committee Name and Charge Change (pdf)