Updated October 8, 2014
Academic Senate Information
At the September 15, 2014 Senate meeting, the Senate discussed two resolutions. AS 1547, Policy Recommendation, Scheduling of Advance Registration and Priority Registration (First Reading), and AS 1548, Senate Management Resolution, Revoking the Temporary Assignment of Budget Advisory Committee Responsibilities (First Reading). AS 1548 was originally brought as a final reading, but the Senate asked that it be brought back for a final reading in October. AS 1547 will also come for a final reading at the October Senate meeting. No other resolutions were heard or passed. The Senate received a briefing on campus safety issues by Chief of Police, Pete Decena. The Senate also received an update from the University Library Board (ULB). The ULB will be revising the library policy (S03-5).
Special Elections were held in CASA, ENGR, COSS, and the GU this Fall. Only the GU and COSS seats are filled, or in the election process. No nominees came forward from CASA or ENGR. These seats are still vacant and can now be filled for one-year only.
One student resigned and AS is in the process of filling this seat.
Elections are underway for the Board of Academic Freedom in the colleges of BUS, H&A, and SCI. These seats must be filled by Full-Time Full Professors.
The Executive Committee submitted recommendations for membership on the VP of Student Affairs Search Committee
The Executive Committee submitted recommendations for membership on the AVP of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies on 9/29/14.
A Call for Nominations for membership on the Search Committee for the VP of Student Affairs was sent out on 10/8/14 and nominations are due on 10/22/14. The link to the nominating petition is: http://tinyurl.com/jwdp4dw
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2014/Spring 2015
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2014/2015
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers. (pdf)
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2014-2015):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- S14-11, Physical Education Policy
- S14-10, Master's Committee Structure and Porcesses and Thesis Embargoes
- S14-9, Guidelines for Concentrations
- S14-8, Selection and Review of Department Chairs and Directors
- S14-7, Accommodation to Students' Religious Holidays
- S14-6, Policy and Assurance for Humane Care and Use of Animals at San Jose State University
- S14-5, Guidelines for General Education (GE), American Institutions (AI), and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) - 2014 GE Guidelines
- S14-4, Naming of Campus Facilities and properties; And Colleges, Schools, and other Academic Entities at San Jose State University
- S14-3, Student Fairness Dispute Resolution, see alsoEO 792
- S14-1, Evaluation of Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty, Excluding courses of small size from teaching evaluations
- F13-2, University Policy, Technology Intensive, Hybrid and Online Courses and Programs
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
- SS-S14-2, Honoring and Thanking Dr. William Nance for his Service to the Senate and the University on his return to the Faculty
- SS-S14-1, Concerning the Need to Continue to Increase the Proportion of Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty at San Jose State University