Updated April 7, 2015
Academic Senate Information
At the first meeting of the 2015-2016 Academic Senate on May 11, 2015, the following Senate Officers were elected; [Note: Senate Chair for 2015-2016 Michael Kimbarow], Vice Chair - Stefan Frazier, Associate Vice Chair - Pat Backer, Chair of the Organization and Government Committee - Bethany Shifflett, Chair of the Instruction and Student Affairs Committee - Michael Kaufman, Chair of the Professional Standards Committee - Ken Peters, Chair of the Curriculum and Research Committee - Ravisha Mathur.
At the last meeting of the 2014-2015 Academic Senate on May 11, 2015, four Sense of the Senate Resolutions were passed; SS-S15-4, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Judith Lessow-Hurley for her service to the Senate and the University, SS-S15-5, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Lynda Heiden for her service to the Senate and the University, SS-S15-6, Endorsing the Statement on Shared Governance at San Jose State University, and SS-S15-7, Supporting the Resolution Prepared by the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA). One policy recommendation was approved by the Senate and is pending signature by the President, AS 1555, Credit by Examination.
At the April 27, 2015 Senate meeting, the Senate passed five policy recommendations
that are pending approval by the President; AS 1560, Scheduling of Thanksgiving Holiday, AS 1566, Appointment of Regular Faculty Employees, AS 1567, Retention, Tenure and Promotion for Regular Employees, Procedures, AS 1568, Retention, Tenure and Promotion for Regular Employees, Criteria and Standards, and
AS 1557, Revisions to SJSU Library Policy.
At the April 6, 2015 meeting, the Senate received a report from Senator Pat Backer regarding the outcome of the 2015-2016 Senate Elections, a Report on Diversity in Hiring and Retention of faculty by AVP Elna Green, and a brief presentation and handout on LOFT from Bruce Reynolds. Two policies were passed and approved by the President from this meeting. University policy S15-4, Prerequisites for the Writing Skills Test (WST), and University policy S15-5, Academic Standards, Probation and Disqualification.
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2014/Spring 2015
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2015/Spring 2016
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2014/2015
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers.
- Senate Elections Calendar for 2015
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2014-2015):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- S15-5, Academic Standards: Probation and Disqualification
- S15-4, Prerequisites for the Writing Skills Test (WST)
- S15-3, Leaves of Absence for Students
- S15-2, Sound Levels at Campus Events
- S15-1, Allocation of Assigned Time for Exceptional Levels of Service to Students
- F14-2, Emeriti Faculty
- F14-1, University Policy, Scheduling of Advance Registration and Priority Registration
- S14-11, University Policy, Physical Education Policy
- S14-10, Master's Committee Structure and Porcesses and Thesis Embargoes
- S14-9, Guidelines for Concentrations
- S14-8, Selection and Review of Department Chairs and Directors
- S14-7, University Policy, Accommodation to Students' Religious Holidays
- S14-6, University Policy, Policy and Assurance for Humane Care and Use of Animals at San Jose State University
- S14-5, University Policy, Guidelines for General Education (GE), American Institutions (AI), and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) - 2014 GE Guidelines
- S14-4, University Policy, Naming of Campus Facilities and properties; And Colleges, Schools, and other Academic Entities at San Jose State University
- S14-3, University Policy, Student Fairness Dispute Resolution, see alsoEO 792
- S14-1, University Policy, Evaluation of Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty, Excluding courses of small size from teaching evaluations
- F13-2, University Policy, Technology Intensive, Hybrid and Online Courses and Programs
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
- SS-S15-7, Supporting the Resolution Prepared by the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA)
- SS-S15-6, Endorsing the Statement on Shared Governance at San Jose State University
- SS-S15-5, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Lynda Heiden for her Service to the Senate and the University
- SS-S15-4, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Judith Lessow-Hurley for her Service to the Senate and the University
- SS-S15-3, In Support of AS-3197-14, The Need for a Comprehensive California State University Policy on Academic Freedom
- SS-S15-2, Expressing Concern Regarding the Implementation of CA Senate Bill 850
- SS-S15-1, Applauding Ten Successful Years for the SJSU Campus Reading Program and Urging its Continued Support by Students, Faculty, and Administration
- SS-F14-1, Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration
- SS-S14-2, Honoring and Thanking Dr. William Nance for his Service to the Senate and the University on his return to the Faculty
- SS-S14-1, Concerning the Need to Continue to Increase the Proportion of Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty at San Jose State University