Updated August 17, 2015
Academic Senate Information
The Senate has adjourned for the summer and will not meet again until September 14, 2015.
At the first meeting of the 2015-2016 Academic Senate on May 11, 2015, the following Senate Officers were elected; [Note: Senate Chair for 2015-2016 Michael Kimbarow], Vice Chair - Stefan Frazier, Associate Vice Chair - Pat Backer, Chair of the Organization and Government Committee - Bethany Shifflett, Chair of the Instruction and Student Affairs Committee - Michael Kaufman, Chair of the Professional Standards Committee - Ken Peters, Chair of the Curriculum and Research Committee - Ravisha Mathur.
At the last meeting of the 2014-2015 Academic Senate on May 11, 2015, four Sense of the Senate Resolutions were passed; SS-S15-4, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Judith Lessow-Hurley for her service to the Senate and the University, SS-S15-5, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Lynda Heiden for her service to the Senate and the University, SS-S15-6, Endorsing the Statement on Shared Governance at San Jose State University, and SS-S15-7, Supporting the Resolution Prepared by the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA). One policy recommendation was approved by the Senate and is pending signature by the President, AS 1555, Credit by Examination.
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2015-2016):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- S15-11 (pending)
- S15-10, Revisions to SJSU Library Policy
- S15-9, Scheduling of Thanksgiving Holiday
- S15-8, Retention, Tenure, and Promotion for Regular Faculty Employees: Criteria and Standards
- S15-7, Retention, Tenure, and Promotion for Regular Faculty Employees: Procedures
- S15-6, Appointment of Regular Faculty Employees
- S15-5, Academic Standards: Probation and Disqualification
- S15-4, Prerequisites for the Writing Skills Test (WST)
- S15-3, Leaves of Absence for Students
- S15-2, Sound Levels at Campus Events
- S15-1, Allocation of Assigned Time for Exceptional Levels of Service to Students
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate (2015-2016):
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate (2015-2016):
- SS-S15-7, Supporting the Resolution Prepared by the Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA)
- SS-S15-6, Endorsing the Statement on Shared Governance at San Jose State University
- SS-S15-5, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Lynda Heiden for her Service to the Senate and the University
- SS-S15-4, Honoring and Thanking Dr. Judith Lessow-Hurley for her Service to the Senate and the University
- SS-S15-3, In Support of AS-3197-14, The Need for a Comprehensive California State University Policy on Academic Freedom
- SS-S15-2, Expressing Concern Regarding the Implementation of CA Senate Bill 850
- SS-S15-1, Applauding Ten Successful Years for the SJSU Campus Reading Program and Urging its Continued Support by Students, Faculty, and Administration