Updated December 16, 2014
Academic Senate Information
At the December 1, 2014 Senate meeting, the Senate discussed passed two resolutions. AS 1549, Policy Recommendation, Emeritus Faculty, Rescinds F92-6 and F96-7 (Final Reading) sent to the President as University Policy F14-2, and SS-F14-1, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration.
The Senate received a report from Faculty Trustee Stephen Stepanek on the 2014-2015 CSU Budget and Cami Johnson on WASC.
Elections are underway for the Board of Academic Freedom in the colleges of BUS, H&A, and SCI. These seats must be filled by Full-Time Full Professors.
The Senate approved the Senate Elections Calendar for 2015 and it is now on the Senate website under the General Information section.
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2014/Spring 2015
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2014/2015
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers.
- Senate Elections Calendar for 2015
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2014-2015):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- F14-1, University Policy, Scheduling of Advance Registration and Priority Registration
- S14-11, University Policy, Physical Education Policy
- S14-10, Master's Committee Structure and Porcesses and Thesis Embargoes
- S14-9, Guidelines for Concentrations
- S14-8, Selection and Review of Department Chairs and Directors
- S14-7, University Policy, Accommodation to Students' Religious Holidays
- S14-6, University Policy, Policy and Assurance for Humane Care and Use of Animals at San Jose State University
- S14-5, University Policy, Guidelines for General Education (GE), American Institutions (AI), and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) - 2014 GE Guidelines
- S14-4, University Policy, Naming of Campus Facilities and properties; And Colleges, Schools, and other Academic Entities at San Jose State University
- S14-3, University Policy, Student Fairness Dispute Resolution, see alsoEO 792
- S14-1, University Policy, Evaluation of Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty, Excluding courses of small size from teaching evaluations
- F13-2, University Policy, Technology Intensive, Hybrid and Online Courses and Programs
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
- SS-F14-1, Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration
- SS-S14-2, Honoring and Thanking Dr. William Nance for his Service to the Senate and the University on his return to the Faculty
- SS-S14-1, Concerning the Need to Continue to Increase the Proportion of Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty at San Jose State University