Updated February 18, 2015
Academic Senate Information
At the February 9, 2015 Senate meeting, the Senate discussed passed three resolutions. SS-S15-1, Sense of the Senate Resolution, Applauding Ten Successful years for the SJSU Campus Reading Program and Urging its Continued Support by Students, Faculty, and Administration (Final Reading), AS 1550, Policy Recommendation, Sound Level at Campus Events (Final Reading) sent to the President as University Policy S15-2 for approval (pending), and AS 1554, Policy Recommendation, Allocation of Assigned Time for Exceptional Levels of Service to Students, As per the CFA/CSU Collective Bargaining Agreement 2014-2017 (Final Reading), sent to the President for approval as University Policy S15-1 (pending).
The Senate received a report from Annette Nellen, Bill Campsey, and Liz Jarnigan on the Athletics Board and Athletics Programs at SJSU. The Senate also received an Exceptional Admissions report from AVP Sharon Willey and Director Deanna Gonzalez.
Senate Elections are underway and the forms can be found on this website under the "Forms" section.
The Senate approved the Senate Calendar for 2015-2016 and it is now on the Senate website under the General Information section.
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2014/Spring 2015
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2015/Spring 2016
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2014/2015
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers.
- Senate Elections Calendar for 2015
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2014-2015):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- F14-2, Emeriti Faculty
- F14-1, University Policy, Scheduling of Advance Registration and Priority Registration
- S14-11, University Policy, Physical Education Policy
- S14-10, Master's Committee Structure and Porcesses and Thesis Embargoes
- S14-9, Guidelines for Concentrations
- S14-8, Selection and Review of Department Chairs and Directors
- S14-7, University Policy, Accommodation to Students' Religious Holidays
- S14-6, University Policy, Policy and Assurance for Humane Care and Use of Animals at San Jose State University
- S14-5, University Policy, Guidelines for General Education (GE), American Institutions (AI), and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) - 2014 GE Guidelines
- S14-4, University Policy, Naming of Campus Facilities and properties; And Colleges, Schools, and other Academic Entities at San Jose State University
- S14-3, University Policy, Student Fairness Dispute Resolution, see alsoEO 792
- S14-1, University Policy, Evaluation of Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty, Excluding courses of small size from teaching evaluations
- F13-2, University Policy, Technology Intensive, Hybrid and Online Courses and Programs
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
- SS-S15-1, Applauding Ten Successful Years for the SJSU Campus Reading Program and Urging its Continued Support by Students, Faculty, and Administration
- SS-F14-1, Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration
- SS-S14-2, Honoring and Thanking Dr. William Nance for his Service to the Senate and the University on his return to the Faculty
- SS-S14-1, Concerning the Need to Continue to Increase the Proportion of Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty at San Jose State University