Updated April 7, 2015
Academic Senate Information
At the April 7, 2015 Senate meeting, the Senate passed three resolutions. SS-S15-3, Sense of the Senate Resolution, In Support of AS-3197-14, The Need for a
Comprehensive California State University Policy on Academic Freedom, AS 1556, Policy Recommendation, Prerequisite for Writing Skills Test (WST), and AS 1558, Policy Recommendation, Academic Standards: Probation and Disqualification.
The Senate received a report from Senator Pat Backer regarding the outcome of the 2015-2016 Senate Elections, a Report on Diversity in Hiring and Retention of faculty by AVP Elna Green, and a brief presentation and handout on LOFT from Bruce Reynolds.
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2014/Spring 2015
- Senate Meeting Calendar for Fall 2015/Spring 2016
- List of Senators by Classification
- Academic Senate Committee Members 2014/2015
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate Committees
- Read the Organization and Government Committee Report on the College of Humanities and the Arts mergers.
- Senate Elections Calendar for 2015
Opportunities for University Service
- Serving on a Senate committee is an excellent way to get involved and we encourage you to find a committee focused on issues of importance to you, whether it be faculty affairs/professional standards, instruction and student affairs, research, facilities, or program development and assessment.
- Please check the list of current senate committee vacancies. If you are interested, please contact your college rep for the Committee on Committees to learn about appointment and/or election procedures.
Recent Senate Policies (Academic Year 2014-2015):
Policies passed by the Senate and Signed into University policy by President Qayoumi:
- S15-3, Leaves of Absence for Students
- S15-2, Sound Levels at Campus Events
- S15-1, Allocation of Assigned Time for Exceptional Levels of Service to Students
- F14-2, Emeriti Faculty
- F14-1, University Policy, Scheduling of Advance Registration and Priority Registration
- S14-11, University Policy, Physical Education Policy
- S14-10, Master's Committee Structure and Porcesses and Thesis Embargoes
- S14-9, Guidelines for Concentrations
- S14-8, Selection and Review of Department Chairs and Directors
- S14-7, University Policy, Accommodation to Students' Religious Holidays
- S14-6, University Policy, Policy and Assurance for Humane Care and Use of Animals at San Jose State University
- S14-5, University Policy, Guidelines for General Education (GE), American Institutions (AI), and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) - 2014 GE Guidelines
- S14-4, University Policy, Naming of Campus Facilities and properties; And Colleges, Schools, and other Academic Entities at San Jose State University
- S14-3, University Policy, Student Fairness Dispute Resolution, see alsoEO 792
- S14-1, University Policy, Evaluation of Effectiveness in Teaching for All Faculty, Excluding courses of small size from teaching evaluations
- F13-2, University Policy, Technology Intensive, Hybrid and Online Courses and Programs
Senate Management Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
Sense of the Senate Resolutions Passed by the Senate:
- SS-S15-3, In Support of AS-3197-14, The Need for a Comprehensive California State University Policy on Academic Freedom
- SS-S15-2, Expressing Concern Regarding the Implementation of CA Senate Bill 850
- SS-S15-1, Applauding Ten Successful Years for the SJSU Campus Reading Program and Urging its Continued Support by Students, Faculty, and Administration
- SS-F14-1, Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration
- SS-S14-2, Honoring and Thanking Dr. William Nance for his Service to the Senate and the University on his return to the Faculty
- SS-S14-1, Concerning the Need to Continue to Increase the Proportion of Tenured and Tenure Track Faculty at San Jose State University