BA, Sociology, Concentration in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
All Students should regularly consult an advisor in the major. Sociology advisors have drop-in advising hours. For a schedule of advising hours, see Advising.
Requirements of the Major (42 units)
In the course listings below, click on the course number to view the course description in the SJSU Catalog. GE areas are shown in parentheses. See GE Course Attributes in the SJSU Catalog for definitions of codes.
Core Courses (27 units)
- SOCI 001: Introduction to Sociology (D1)
- SOCI 080: Social Problems (D3)
- SOCI 100W: Writing Workshop (Z)
- SOCI 101: Social Theory
- SOCI 104: Quantitative Research Methods
- SOCI 105: Qualitative Research Methods
- SOCI 116: Global Society (D3)
Complete one course from:
Complete one course from:
- SOCI 104B: Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
- SOCI 105B: Advanced Qualitative Research Methods
- SOCI 181B: Sociology Career Capstone
Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Concentration (15 units)
- SOCI 172: Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender Studies
- SOCI 175: Sociology of Masculinities and Femininities
- WOMS 169: Sexualities and the Body
Complete two courses from:
- SOCI 170: Sociology of Family
- WOMS 101: The Study of Women
- WOMS 102: The Global Study of Women
- WOMS 112: Women in the Global Economy
- WOMS 114: Politics of Mothering and Reproduction
- WOMS 160: Gender, Race, and Class
- WOMS 189: Islamic Perspectives on Gender
SOCI 180, Individual Studies, and SOCI 199H, Senior Honors Thesis, may be applied to the major when they have direct relevance to the concentration; such relevance is determined by approval of an advisor.
- Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Concentration (pdf)
- Sociology Contract for Major (pdf)
- Recommended Four-Year Degree Roadmaps (pdf)
- Sociology 100W Credit Request (pdf)
- Sociology Statistics Credit Request (pdf)
Transfer Credit & Articulation
- Transfer Planning Guide
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by SJSU Course
- Articulation Correspondences, Sorted by School
- See the SJSU Catalog entry for complete degree information on the BA in Sociology, Concentration in Community Change. Requirements of the major are only part of the requirements for graduation, as briefly summarized here:
|Requirements of the Major (as above)||42 units|
|General Education Requirements||39 units|
|Physical Education||2 units|
|University Electives||37 units|
- More useful information may be found in Graduation Requirements—Undergraduate, General Education (GE), and Undergraduate Information and Requirements.
- A minor in another department is strongly recommended.
- Some classes “double count” in GE or SJSU Studies as well as in the Sociology major. However, the units for the class only count once. You should keep track of the cumulative number of units you have earned. Check your transcript on MYSJSU.