Change of Major
- Sociology, General
- Sociology with a concentration in Community Change
- Sociology with a concentration in Social Interaction
The Sociology Department will accept change of major forms from continuing students (undeclared/change of major) with a minimum all college GPA of 2.5 or greater and eligibility to enroll in Soci 100W.
The Sociology Department will accept change of major forms from transfer students beginning on the first day of the semester they enroll.
Attach the Admission requirements form (only if GPA is below 2.5) along with the Change of Major application forms below.
Admission Requirements form (if GPA is below 2.5)
Admission requirements for change of major.pdf
Change of Major for students fewer than 90 units
[REVISED!] Use to declare new, change or add (double) Major or Minor. Requires the signatures of the Advisor or Chairperson of your new Major/Minor Department. Change of Major to undeclared, requires signatures of GE Advisor and Director of Academic Advising and Retention Services. Submit completed form to the "R"(Registrar) counter at the Student Services Center.
Change of Major for students with 90 or more units
[REVISED!] Use to declare new, change or add (double) Major or Minor. Requires the signatures of the Advisor or Chairperson of your new Major/Minor Department. If you are a student with 120 units or greater, you need two additional signatures from the College Associate Deans and Director of Academic Advising and Retention Services. Change of Major to undeclared, requires signatures of GE Advisor and Director of Academic Advising and Retention Services. Submit completed form to the "R"(Registrar) counter at the Student Services Center.
Required Documents for Form Submission
All students requesting signature from the chair need to bring the following documents along with the completed form:
- "My Academics" Homepage (print screen)
- Unofficial transcripts from MySJSU
- Course History (via "My Academics")
- Unofficial transcripts form previous college(s)[i.e. community college] or print a copy of the "Transfer Credit" report from MySJSU "My Academics" section
Note: Please allow 3-4 business days of processing time and check back with the office for the status of the paperwork.
- Soci 1 (Intro), Soci 80 (Social Problems) and Soci 116 (Global Society) and have a GPA of 2.5 or greater in the courses. These three courses can be taken with no more than 2 attempts per course and must be completed within 24 SJSU attempted units (excluding W grades).
- For students who have completed Soci 1 and Soci 80 (or their equivalents) in community college, the average GPA will be calculated based upon those grades in addition to Soci 116.
- Passage of the WST or ENGL 100A; eligibility to enroll in Soci 100W.
For students in Disqualification status
- Students may be reinstated only once to this major. After a second disqualification from Sociology, students will not be allowed a second reinstatement to the major. Students should seek advising to find a suitable major for completion at SJSU or other university.
- Students who have been disqualified may complete the major and other outstanding requirements (e.g. SJSU studies) through Open University. Students may apply up to 24 units (8 classes) of Open University classes toward the major and other requirements.