CalFresh or SNAP provides a monthly cash supplement loaded onto a debit card to use for buying groceries. 

CalFresh assistance has helped many students who are experiencing budget restraints. 

Financial aid is not counted as income. You will need to submit this form (pdf) with your application if you receive financial aid. 
Student applying for CalFresh

Common Eligibility:

  • Between 18 and 49 years old
  • Attending at least half time
  • U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, asylum seeker or victim of trafficking or domestic violence
  • Approved for Cal Grant A or B (conditions apply), federal work-study, EOP, MESA, or other qualifying state or federally funded program at SJSU. 

Signing Up/Sign-Up Assistance:

Students can apply themselves, but we highly recommend using one of the following sign-up assistance programs where trained staff/volunteers can help guide you through the process.

  • Summer drop in assistance is on Wednesday 06.26 & Wednesday 07.24 Noon-3PM in the Spartan Food Pantry.
  • Regular weekly dates will re-start in the Fall 2019 term.



Whats the difference between CalFresh, SNAP, & Food Stamps?

The federal program formerly known as food stamps was renamed SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and in California it's named CalFresh.

Farmer's Markets and CalFresh

Many farmers markets will double your money if you use Calfresh to purchase your fruits and vegetables!

CalFresh Reference Information

Sign up for CalFresh without assistance

To see if you are eligible, go to the MyBenefits CalWIN website and click “Am I eligible?”

You may also begin the application process online or visit Calfresh application locations (pdf).


In order to complete the application in-person, visit one of the Social Services Offices or partner agencies. For a complete list of locations, download the Social Security office locations [pdf] flyer.