Spartan Food Pantry
The Spartan Food Pantry is the first full service, staffed, walk-in pantry offering non-perishable goods, fresh produce, and refrigerated goods at SJSU.
No student should have to face food insecurity.[We define those in need as students who have limited or uncertain access to nutritious and safe foods because of a lack of money and other resources.]
Most food provided is donated in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank. Individual donations are accepted during operational hours.
Summer 2019 Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 10AM-3PM
Temporary shift in operational hours Tuesday 9th - Thursday 11th > 10AM-1PM
Location: Diaz Compean Student Union (exterior entrance across from Engineering Rotunda)
- must be currently enrolled (summer) or future (fall) enrolled SJSU student who has had prior enrollment.
- must bring their Tower ID Card & reusable grocery bags
- earn a gross annual income of $33,348* or less (no documentation required)
How it works
- Check-In (staff swipe your SJSU Tower ID card verifying you are currently enrolled)
- Complete the Spartan Food Pantry Intake & Agreement Form at one of our computer stations. This is completed on the first visit of each academic semester.
Shop for items within the 6 zones. Availability of stock in each zone may vary. Staff will let you know if there are any limits per zone on that day.
- Zone 1 (Produce)
- Zone 2 (Multiple Use)
- Zone 3 (Cool Zone)
- Zone 4 (Single Use)
- Zone 5 (Toiletries)
- Zone 6 (Grab-N-Go)
- Check-Out (staff review items & re-swipe your Tower ID)
- Bag items (in re-usable bag you've brought)
We highly encourage students to ask questions if they don't know how to prepare a food. Wellness & Health Promotions has an excellent website Eating Well on a Budget, that helps provide cooking tips, videos, and recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How often can students come to the pantry?
A: Eligible students are permitted to come to the pantry once per calendar week.
Q: Can I attend both the Spartan Food Pantry & Just In Time mobile food pantry in the same month?
A: Participating in the Spartan Food Pantry does not prohibit attendance at the monthly Just In Time mobile food pantry program.
Q: What should I know about expiration dates?
A: There are multiple types of dates (best by, use by, produced on, etc.) associated with food products in the U.S. Most consumers do not know the difference. If you have questions ask a staff member, review information available by Second Harvest Food Bank, or from the USDA.
Q: Do I need to have my Tower ID on me?
A: Yes. Students without a Tower ID might not be able to be served. If you are a currently enrolled student who has permanently misplaced your ID card please go to the Student Services Center for a replacement. More info on the Tower ID card is found here.
A: Eligible SJSU students are able to participate in the food pantry program for free. There is no exchange of work for food.
Volunteer positions help keep our pantry running by assisting with tasks such as stocking/inventory management, student check-in/out, compost trips, etc. Morning and afternoon shifts are 3 hours each Mondays-Thursdays.
1) View Opportunities & Sign Up is easy using a Google/gmail account. Use the volunteer selection link to find a volunteer spot that you can fulfill. Clicking SAVE will reserve your spot & place it on your Google calendar automatically. That is your confirmation; we do not send additional confirmations or reminders. We anticipate seeing you at the time/date you select.
2) Complete our volunteer waiver agreement online as soon as you sign up.
General questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Besides volunteering there are many ways you can help.
Q: How many students use the pantry?
A: SJSU Cares posts Monthly usage statistics on this site.
*Income limits are set by US Government at 275% of the Federal Poverty Line. $2,862 monthly for individuals of a household of 1; add $1,013 per additional household member. Please ask if you have questions.