Pantry Donation Guide
Drop off donations at the Spartan Food Pantry (Student Union- Exterior entrance
across from Engineering Bldg) during business hours. Hours vary.
Only donate quality items you would use yourself
Original manufacturer sealed packaging must be in place
Be aware of food dates; while most foods are safe to eat beyond manufacture label dates, items with dates well beyond will not be placed in our inventory
Items that are in greatest need are individual serving sizes, easily opened (pull-back/pop-top lids), or microwavable (not all students have access to a full kitchen)
Preferably organic, BPA Free, whole-grain/multi-grain, low-sodium foods
Note about fresh produce
If you have larger amounts of washed fruits or vegetables from gardening, gleaning, or purchases, please contact us before bringing as we might not always be able to accommodate them.
Suggested items you can donate
- Canned meat/proteins (tuna, salmon, chicken)
- Canned beans/peas (pinto, black, chickpeas, kidney, green peas, lentils, etc.)
- Nuts (peanuts, almonds, walnuts)
- Nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter)
- Dried fruit
- Canned fruit (fruit cocktail, applesauce, peaches, etc.)
- Canned vegetables (green beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa)
- Grains (rice, pasta, oatmeal, whole grain crackers, shelf-stable tortillas)
- Easy to make flavorful meals (eg. Rice Pilaf, Hamburger Helper, Stuffing)
- Macaroni and cheese
- Box instant potatoes
- Granola bars/breakfast bars
- Trail mix snack packs
- General use seasonings, spice blends (Lowry’s, Tajín, garlic salt, lemon pepper, soy sauce)
- Pasta sauces
- Canned chili
- Popcorn (healthier the better)
- Cereal (healthier the better, grains vs sugary stuff)
- Soups (healthier the better, eg. low sodium vegetable, chicken noodle/minestrone over ramen or cup of noodles)
- Ensure/Boost Nutritional Shake
- Shelf-stable milk alternatives (almond milk, soy milk, etc).
- 100% Fruit juice boxes
- Hygiene products (full size shampoo, deodorant, bar soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste tampons/pads, razors, etc.)
- Cleaning Supplies (bathroom cleaner, sponges, dish and laundry detergents)
Other ways to donate
Organize a food and/or toiletry drive with your organization
Use the power of your network.
Create incentives and competition among members
Keep in mind that members of your organization might be recipients and not in a place to donate at this time. If you are interested in organizing a drive please coordinate this with us in advance so that we can best accommodate the donated items, give tips, and authorize the use of our name/images. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct contributions allow us to use funding in the ways that would best serve our students such as buying in bulk, finding niche items not donated, and providing emergency support.
- Monetary donations can be made online and are greatly appreciated
- Small cash/coin donations can be placed in the donation boxes at campus Spartan Eat locations
Contact: email@example.com or 408-924-1234
Thank you for thinking of us!