To find out about SJSU scholarship options, visit our scholarship page for international Students
TOEFL is now offering scholarships for international students! *
*Test takers applying for the scholarship must currently be living in China, India, Japan, Korea or Taiwan.
Top Countries of Origin of SJSU International Applicants
* Many international students who enroll at SJSU begin their education in the United States.
San José State University, located in San José- the third largest city in California, is just minutes from many of the nation's most sought after high-tech companies and just 45 miles from the heart of San Francisco.
For more information download our International Admissions presentation or come in for a drop-in appointment. Please refer to our Meet With a Pre-Admission Counselor page for more information on the dates and hours we are available.
The Student Outreach and Recruitment office is here to assist you with the application process as an international applicant (F-1 or J-1 Visa). Contact Us:
Student Services Center (9th St. and San Fernando St.)
Undergraduate International Admissions Counseling Hours
- Tuesdays from 10:00am-12:00pm
- Wednesdays from 2:00pm-4:30pm
- Thursdays from 10:00am-12:00pm
5 Steps for a Successful Application to SJSU:
1. Visit our International Applicant Page to review all of the admission requirements for the upcoming admission cycle. If you are interested in one of our graduate programs, visit the International Graduate Applicant site.
2. Review the English Proficiency Requirement details below to ensure that you will have these met by the document deadline.
* All applicants with fewer than 3 years of full-time study where English is the primary language of instruction must submit official test scores that meet the language requirement (students who have completed 60 transferable semester units and the Basic Skills courses at a U.S. college or university will be exempt from the English language proficiency requirement).
*If a first-time freshman international applicant is academically qualified but can not pass the English language proficiency requirement by the time of application, he/she may be issued a conditional admission letter. For more information on Conditional Admission, visit our International Gateways site or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SJSU minimum proficiency standards
TOEFL: Undergraduate, except Engineering
TOEFL: All Engineering majors and all graduate applicants
Additional Accepted Exams - Undergraduate and Graduate
- Minimum Scores: International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.0 for undergraduate applicants and 7.0 for graduate applicants
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 68
3. Apply on www.csumentor.edu by creating an account and selecting the "international admission application" and then selecting San José State University. You will be prompted to complete the Declaration of Finance form (PDF) at the end of the application.
4. Submit all necessary paperwork. In addition to the Declaration of Finance form, you will need to submit:
Copy of Passport (name must match your name on the SJSU application and must not expire prior to your I-20 processing)
Current bank statement or official letter from your bank stating that you have the minimum amount to cover a full school academic year of tuition and living expenses (approx. $30,000)
Send official academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, certificates, diplomas, degrees) from all post-secondary schools you attended in separate sealed envelopes
Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations by an approved government or school official (notarized translations will not be accepted) and translations must be word-for-word. Please remember to send both transcripts and translations
All transcripts and supporting documents must be sent to:Office of Undergraduate Admissions San José State University One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0016