Certificates and Credentials
* Application Information for Post-Masters PPSC Program Available Here *
The following certificates and credential are available for current SJSU MSW Students and/or Post-MSW Students who meet specified requirements. Those interested should contact the School or the designated representative regarding their particular interest.
Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC)
* We are now accepting applications for our Spring 2020 session, which starts in January. The application deadline is Friday, November 1st for our Spring Cohort.
Graduates of our PPSC programs will qualify to be credentialed as school social workers by the state of California. This PPSC is only valild in California. The PPSC is obtained in School Social Work and Child Welfare and Attendance. There are two ways the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) is offered at SJSU's School of Social Work:
(1) Current SJSU MSW Students in the On-Campus MSW Program. The PPSC may be obtained by current SJSU MSW students in the On-Campus MSW Program who complete the necessary courses and internship, pass the CBEST, and who meet the PPSC program requirements. Students must accept placement in an approved PPSC program school setting for their second year practicum. If you are a current SJSU On-Campus MSW Program student interested in earning a PPSC, please contact the Field Education office. If you want to be in the SJSU MSW Program, please visit here:
(2) Post-Masters, School of Social Work Program. The School of Social Work is proud to offer an Online Post-Masters Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PM-PPSC) Program. Students in this program must already have an MSW from an accredited social work program. We are not currently accepting applicants with masters degrees from other fields (i.e., MFTs, MAs, etc.).
* The application deadline is Friday, November 1st 2019 for our Spring Session, with courses starting in mid-January 2020.
Please refer to the following documents:
The curriculum model includes two 10-week courses, offered either consecutively or concurrently, and additional field units and internship in an approved PPSC program school setting. All other PPSC Program and state CTC requirements must also be met.
Please check periodically for the stated application opening periods, and for updates and active links for an application portal.
We expect that future application periods will also be offered:
- November 1st application deadline for a January 2020 session start
- April 3, 2020 application deadline for a June 2020 session start
For questions specific to the Post-Masters PPSC Program, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spanish Language Counseling Certificate
This credential is for BASW and MSW students demonstrating advanced levels of Spanish language proficiency and social work practice skills. There are two ways of obtaining the certificate: (1) taking ScWk 224, an elective course that uses cultural, linguistic competencies, and social work skills in the delivery of services to Latino client systems; (2) taking an exam (which is only offered upon graduation). For more information, please contact Dr. Migdalia Reyes at Migdalia.Reyes@sjsu.edu.
Certificate in Gerontology
(In partnership with the SJSU Gerontology Program)
Currently our Gerontology Certificate Program is being redesigned. The usual requirements would include: ScWk 250, ScWk 251, Gero 260, Gero elective course, and a second year internship in an aging-focused services agency. If you are interested in the Certificate in Gerontology, please contact the School of Social Work via SocialWork@sjsu.edu and put "Gero Certificate Questions" in the subject line.
Post-MSW Social Work Licensure
Students graduating with an MSW degree from an accredited social work program are eligible to accrue hours towards the LCSW, ACSW, and other social work licenses. Hours obtained prior to obtaining your MSW degree (e.g., practicum, paid, and/or volunteer experience) do not count towards licensure.