Tuition and Financial Aid

Legal residents of California are not charged tuition, but fees and nonresident tuition at all CSU campuses are charged on the semester system for all graduate students. Given California's and the university's financial and budget situation, fee and tuition amounts have been adjusted several times over the last few years. Please visit the following websites for current fee, financial aid, and scholarship information:

Application Fees

SJSU Application Fee: $55.00 (non-refundable) through CSUMentor website

State University Fee (subject to change without advance notice)

As of Fall 2005, the approximate fee per semester for full-time graduate students who are residents of California was $1,937.00. Total fees per semester will be determined by the number of units taken, including those in excess of fifteen. Also, fees are subject to change. Please visit the fees and financial information web site.

Establishing California Residency

The laws of California provide that every student at the California State University must be classified as either a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. Students have the ultimate burden of proving their residence classification. Please visit the Graduate Studies and Research web site for details.

Financial Aid Information

Please contact San José State University's Financial Aid Office website or call at 408-283-7500.

Financial aid may also be available through:

  • Scholarships
  • Grants, including Pell, Supplemental Educational Opportunity, State University and Educational Opportunity
  • Loans, including emergency, Perkins, and Stafford loans
  • SJSU Work Study for part-time jobs on and off campus

The School of Social Work and the College of Applied Arts and Sciences may have a limited number of grants and stipends for social work students, which are obtained through grants from various federal agencies. These grants and stipends vary from year to year, but usually indicate a priority for training in mental health, child welfare, gerontology, or the field of alcoholism. A few field agencies may offer a paid field-work placement to graduate students. Applicants seeking financial assistance should also complete the University financial aid form.