MSW Program Application
For Fall 2014 Entry
Master of Social Work Program - School of Social Work
College of Applied Sciences and Arts
San José State University
**Changes to MSW application for Fall 2014 admission:
No longer requiring liberal arts foundation worksheet nor the writing sample, and the format for the autobiographical statement has changed.
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Social Work (MSW) Program at San José State University (SJSU). Founded in 1969, and fully accredited, our MSW program has maintained an integrated and diverse student body. The Mission of the School of Social Work at San José State University is to prepare social work professionals for effective, ethical practice and leadership from a transcultural perspective with diverse individuals, families and communities.Fall 2014 MSW application begins October 1, 2013. Online application is due no later than January 10 2014. Additional required documents are due no later than January 24, 2014 via email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order for your application to be reviewed, all items listed below must be completed by the specified deadline. Please see below the complete required list for Fall 2013 Admissions Application:
I) Application to be admitted to San Jose State University (apply via CSU Mentor website): click HERE for link and information.
The deadline for the CSUMentor application is January 1, 2014, NOT the end of November.
---SJSU will issue an ID#. Please include this ID# on all documents you submit in section II.
II) Required documents for School of Social Work MSW admission: all required documents, listed below, are to be submitted via email to email@example.com. Due date for ALL required documents is January 24, 2014.
**Please email resume and autobiographical statement as attachments in one email**
III) Application to be admitted to the School of Social Work for Admissions. Due date for MSWapplication is January 10, 2014. Online application is at the end of this page.
MSW Program Bulletin
Please read the latest available version of the MSW Program Bulletin for details about our full-time and 3-year program, curriculum, and other important information. A printed version may be accessed online via our web site at http://www.sjsu.edu/socialwork/docs/2011_MSW_Bulletin.pdf.
Applicant Prerequisites and Preparation
Applicants for admission to the MSW Program must demonstrate academic preparation and professional commitment to social work. Applicants must have:
- Undergraduate Degree. Applicants must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university in any field, although it is preferred that this undergraduate degree be in social work or a related field;
- 2.50 GPA or Better. Applicants must have a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.50 for their last 60 semester units;
- Social Work Experience. Applicants must have significant volunteer, internship, and/or paid work experience with groups such as Latinos, African Americans, Asian and Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, and other marginalized, oppressed, or disadvantaged groups;
- Liberal Arts Foundation. Applicants must have a foundation in liberal arts, usually achieved through general education or major coursework in the humanities, arts, and social sciences. Your transcripts and Liberal Arts Foundation Worksheet must demonstrate this foundation.
- 550 minimum paper-based, 80 minimum internet, or 213 computer-based TOEFL Score or 7.0 Minimum IELTS Score. All applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must demonstrate competence in English. Those who do not possess a bachelor’s degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
MSW Program Admissions Review
The MSW Program Admissions Committee evaluates each applicant on the basis of all submitted materials and information. Because admission into graduate degree programs is competitive and enrollment space is limited, many qualified applicants are not accepted into the MSW Program. The MSW Program Admissions Committee will notify applicants as soon as possible as to their status. These notifications, depending on the applicant pool and available space, can occur as early as March and as late as June.
MSW students will be admitted to the full-time, 3-year program, or Work Study as indicated on the application AND according to available space. Applicants denied admission will also be notified, and must reapply the following year if they wish to be reconsidered for admission. Admitted applicants cannot defer their admission to another year.
Checking Admission Status: SJSU and MSW Program Applications
Applicants should frequently check their SJSU admissions status on-line through MySJSU. You can confirm if your SJSU-level application has been processed or if materials are missing. The MSW Program will notify you the status of your program application via email. Admission to SJSU does NOT guarantee admission to the MSW Program.
Transfer of Credit and Course Substitutions
Students who have taken CSWE accredited MSW-level courses at other universities may request a transfer of a maximum of 12 units of credit (excluding practice and field courses), but these requests must be made with the MSW Graduate Advisor prior to application.
Taking MSW Courses Before Being Admitted
Only those admitted to the MSW Program may take graduate-level social work courses at SJSU;
MSW classes are NOT available through Open University.
Additional Information and Questions
Please visit our web site at www.sjsu.edu/socialwork/. If you have any questions, please contact the MSW Program at the address above, call the Social Work office at (408) 924-5800, or email Professor Barry Goldman-Hall, MSW Admissions Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your interest in our MSW Program!