Mission and Goals
The School of Social Work at San José State University is committed to using and promoting a transcultural perspective. This transcultural perspective informs the curriculum and promotes advocating for social justice, honoring the strengths of diverse cultures, and enhancing the well being of individuals and communities.
The mission of the School of Social Work at San José State University is to prepare social workers for effective, ethical social work practice from a transcultural perspective with Latinos, Asian and Pacific Islanders, African Americans and those individuals, families, groups, and communities who are disenfranchised, oppressed, or marginalized. In the service of this mission, we are active in scholarship and professional leadership endeavors that advance a transcultural perspective in social work and promote social justice.
The School of Social Work is committed to preparing competent and effective professional social workers, developing social work knowledge and providing leadership in the development of social service delivery systems. In order to fulfill it's purpose and mission, the School of Social Work has developed goals for the BASW and MSW programs. They are as follows:
- To prepare social workers for ethical social work and use of the transcultural perspective with diverse, disenfranchised, oppressed and marginalized populations.
- (BASW) To prepare social workers for effective generalist practice from a transcultural perspective with individuals across the lifespan, and with families, groups, organizations and communities.
- (MSW) To prepare social workers for advanced practice from a transcultural multi-systems perspective with individuals across the lifespan, and with families, groups, organizations and communities. Goals and objectives.
- To prepare social workers for leadership in advocating positive change and innovation in social work policies, programs and practices to enhance social justice and the well being of individuals, families and communities.
- To prepare social workers for critical inquiry in the service of the above goals.
- To contribute to social work through professional leadership and scholarship that advances social work knowledge, practice and values.