BA Sociology, Concentration in Criminology
Applying for Graduation
SJSU Admissions Links
PLEASE NOTE THE CURRICULUM UDATES & CHANGES
Requirements for students entering SJSU or declaring the major after June 2007 are in italics.
All students should regularly consult an advisor in the major. Sociology advisors have drop-in advising hours. Get an advising hours schedule from the department office.
Core Courses (27 units)
Sociology Core Courses (G.E area indicated in parentheses after title)
- Soci 1 - Introduction to Sociology (D1)
- Soci 80 - Social Problems (D2)
- Soci 116 - Global Society (D3)
- Soci/Socs 15 - Statistical Applications for Social Sciences (B4)
OR Soci 102 - Introduction to Statistics (no GE credit)
OR approved equivalent Introduction or Elementary Statistics at another school
- Soci 100W - Writing Workshop. (SJSU Studies: Z)
- Soci 101 - Systematic Social Theory.
- Soci 104 - Quantitative Research Methods
- Soci 105 - Qualitative Research Methods
- Soci 181B - Sociology Career Capstone
OR Soci 104B - Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
OR Soci 105B - Advanced Qualitative Research Methods.
- Soci 1 is a prerequisite for all upper division Sociology classes.
- Stat 95 at SJSU is not approved. Contact the Sociology Department.
Visit the Articulation website for transferable courses (http://info.sjsu.edu/home/artic.html)
- Soci 100W is required for Sociology majors and is a pre-OR co-requisite for Soci 101.
- Both Soci 100W and Soci 101 are prerequisite for Soci 104 and Soci 105.
- Prerequisites for Soci 104B - Soci 1, Soci 15 or Soci 102 (or an approved equivalent course), Soci 100w, Soci 101 and Soci 104
- Prerequisites for Soci 105B - Soci 1, Soci 100w, Soci 101, and Soci 105
- Prerequisites for Soci 181B - Soci 1, Soci 100w, Soci 101, and Soci 104 or Soci 105 (Student must have taken at least ONE of the required research methods courses before enrolling in Soci 181B.)
- Soci 181 (Internship in Sociology) cannot be substituted for Soci 104B, Soci 105B or Soci 181B and cannot be used as a Sociology Elective. However, Soci 181 may be used as one of the university electives.
- Educ/ApSc/Engr /HA/Sci 157 Community Action & Services (SJSU Studies Area S) cannot be substituted for Soci 181B or cannot be used as one of the Sociology electives.
Also Required for Criminology Concentration (15 units)
Required for the Concentration: (3 units)
- Soci 153 - Criminology
Plus: Take Three classes from this list: (9 units)
- Soci 150 - Gender Crime
- Soci 151 - Violence in the Family,
- Soci 152 - Juvenile Deliquency
- Soci 154 - Soc. Of Non-Conforming Behavior
- Soci 155 - Victimology
- Soci 156 - Gangs & Mobs
- Soci 158 - The Prison Community
AND Take One class from this list: (3 Units)
- Soci 118 - Sociology of Human Rights and Social justice
- Soci 160 - Immigration & Identity
- Soci 161 - City Life
- Soci 162 - Race & Ethnic Relations (SJSU Studies:S)
- Soci 163 - Social Change
- Soci 165 - Poverty, Wealth & Privilege
- Soci 169 - Political Sociology
- Soci 170 - Sociology of the Family
- Soci 172 - LGBT Studies
- Soci 173 - Socialization and Identity
- Soci 174 - Sexualities
- Soci 175 - Masculinities & Femininities
- Soci 176 - Small Group Processes
- Soci 199H - Honors Thesis
Sociology (Criminology) Elective Requirement: 15 units
Sociology Units required in the major: 42 units
Total units for the Sociology BA degree (Includes GE): 120 units
A Minor in another department is strongly recommended.
Some classes "double count" in G.E. or SJSU STUDIES as well as in the Sociology major. However, the units for the class only count once. You should keep track of the cumulative number of units you have earned. Check your transcript on MYSJSU.