Officiating with SJSU Intramural Sports
"Knowledge, Professionalism, Learning"
Submit an online application here!
Note: You must create a log in upon applying. Click "start an application for employment" to begin the process of applying and follow the steps from there.
YES! You can be an IM Sports Official without any prior officiating experience! Prior officiating and/or playing experience is preferred, but not required. We will train you to be an offical in the sports you want to work.
YES! IM Sports officials can (are are encouraged to) play IM Sports! All current IM Sports officials receive a discount on their IM Sports team entry fees.
NO! Intramural Sports officiating is not a reliable source of hours or income. This is the perfect job for students looking for a few hours per week. Those expecting traditional full or even part-time hours should not apply for this position. Typical hours for a new official are generally between 6-10 hours per week, per sport. If there are an abundance of new officials for a sport, the opportunities for shifts decreases even more. Veteran officials with more experience typically receive the most hours.
Meetings and Training
All students who want to officiate need to attend our meetings. If you are interested, you must first contact the Intramural Sports Coordinator. You may contact him via e-mail at email@example.com. In order to attend the meetings, you would need to be hired on as an employee first.
There may be limited space open for each sport due to facility constraints, game schedules, and how many expected teams there are for each sport. There is no guarantee of employment before the training begins or even throughout the season.
Spring 2018 Sports Seeking Officials:
How do I become an IM Sports Official?
The application and hiring process:
1. Check out the IM Officials Manual and PDF posted HERE, to see if being an official sounds right for you.
2. Apply for the job here: www.applitrack.com/sjsu/onlineapp. In order to apply, you will need to create an account and submit the application for "Intramural Sports Official".
2. Meet with the IM Sports Coordinator to discuss the paperwork to be completed.
3. An official background screening will be done.
4. You will need to meet with Student Union Human Resources to complete all tax forms.
5. Once, hired, you will have to take part in the mandatory trainings before being scheduled to officiate games. Additional meetings will take place throughout the semester and you will be requred to attend. These dates will be disclosed once the semeter gets going.
All new hires are required to proved these documents when meeting with Human Resources:
Drivers's License or SJSU ID card, AND
Social Security Card OR Birth Certificated issued by State or County (copies are unacceptable - we must see the original)
Must bring the above items, AND the following documents:
Unexpired foreign passport
Form I-94 (copy)
U.S. Visa (copy)
Form I-20 (required if DS stated on form I-94)
Letter from SJSU International Department (copy)
In order to apply for a social security card number, you must have an offical "letter of hire" from the department. That application process typically takes at least 2-4 weeks, so international students who whish to apply to be an IM Sports official should contact the Director of Officials at 408-924-6266 to arrange an appointment to get a letter of hire NO LESS than 6 WEEKS before the officials' meeting they wish to attend.