The Department of Special Education at San José State University offers Education Specialist (teaching) Credential programs for individuals who want to teach students and young children with disabilities. We also offer a Masters of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Special Education and the opportunity for undergraduate students to receive a Minor in Special Education.
Our graduates are advocates for children, have the knowledge base that allows them to creatively meet the needs of a variety of student learners and work as change agents to make the lives of their students in school the very best. They have learned important evidence-based best practices for teaching students with disabilities and most importantly, they are passionate about learning and education.
If you are interested in applying to any of the programs, please navigate through the Prospective Students section of our website for additional information and guidelines for admission.
- Department Applications for Spring 2019 are due by November 1, 2018 See "How to Apply".
- Don't forget to Apply to SJSU using CalState Apply - Check homepage for Admission Dates.
- New Fall 18 Student Orientation - Monday August 20th, 5-6 PM @SH 230 - Come meet your new Advisor and learn about The Department of Special Education and your program.
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - First Day of Instruction for Fall semester.
- Fall Supervision Seminar Dates: Thursdays, 7:00- 9:45 pm ( 8/23, 9/20, 10/18, 11/15, 12/06)