Master of Arts Degree Option

What are the options for a person who just wants to do an MA?

Students can specialize in one of four fields - Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Early Childhood Special Education, Mild/Moderate Disabilities, or Moderate/Severe Disabilities. The MA requires 30 approved units.

If I enroll in the MA program, can I teach in a California School?

Students cannot teach in a public school unless they have a valid California teaching credential in Multiple Subjects (or Elementary) or Single Subjects (or Secondary), or in Special Education in the area of disability that matches your students. The district or agency that hires students will tell them what they need to have.

Do I have to take the courses in a specific sequence?

Students must meet with their advisor to prepare a candidacy form. However, students must carefully plan for the following. These three (3) courses must be taken sequentially not concurrently:

    • EDSE 285
    • EDSE 231
    • EDSE 220

This means that students must develop a schedule for the other 18 units. Effective Fall 2006 EDSE 218 is required


Back to FAQs