STUDENT AFFAIRS: Building Community, Transforming Lives @ SJSU
Newsletter Issue I
Please click on one of the links below to jump to that department's information.
- Career Center
- Finding Internships & Jobs
- Preparing for Career Success
- Connect with Employers
- Land that Summer Internship
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- Spring 2015 Workshops
- Spring 2015 Groups
- Upcoming Training & Events
- Military & Veteran Student Services
- Student Health Center
- Spring 2015 Peer Health Educators (PHEs)
- Spring 2015 Peer Health Educators (PHEs)
Welcome back Spartans! We hope you enjoyed your holiday break and are ready to begin a New Year and new semester! Here are a few key things to know about the Career Center, our programs and how to gain your competitive edge this spring.
Finding Internships & Jobs
Create your SpartaJobs account today!
- Last year SpartaJobs had over 75,000 job and internship openings for SJSU students!
- Employers are looking for YOU so don’t forget to upload your current resume as well!
- Be sure to watch our short SpartaJobs tutorial to learn all the hacks in finding jobs & internships by major, field of interest or keywords.
Prepare for Career Success
Attend our workshops, office hours and events!
Our programs and events are sure ways for you to Get Connected! Participate in our workshops, webshops and employer connection events to learn more about the career path for you. New industry panels this semester will look into careers in Education and Foreign and Civil Service. Check out our Spring 2015 Program Calendar for the complete list of programs and events.
Connect with Employers
We are excited to offer FOUR career fairs this spring! We kick off our spring fairs on February 24 with the Expo ’15 Engineering & Science Career Fair, followed by the Business & Government Fair on March 5; the Nonprofit & Public Service Fair on March 18; and the Just-in-Time Fair on April 14. Log in to SpartaJobs for the full list of participating employers and available opportunities. Get in at noon with your Early Bird Pass! ** Early bird pass does not guarantee admission if venue capacity is reached.
Land that Summer Internship.
Did you know? Of the students who obtained employment in FY 2013-2014, approximately
50% worked as an intern. An internship can be a valuable step into your future career. Britany,
our intern, gives us her Top 4 Reasons to Snag an Internship.
Happy Spring 2015 semester! Counseling Services is offering various workshops, events and groups this semester. These events are a great way for students to connect with peers, learn new skills and strategies, and grow both emotionally and educationally. We offer an extensive variety of workshops around the most important issues and challenges that students face. We also offer numerous types of groups that get students interacting and connecting to help each other. Below are some of our upcoming events
Spring 2015 Workshops
Our workshops (all FREE!) are designed to improve your academic and personal success at SJSU.
Register at http://events.sjsu.edu/. Space is limited and workshops with low registration may be cancelled. We will accept walk-ins if space is available.
These workshops are for SJSU students only and are wheelchair accessible. If you need other accommodations, please contact Counseling and Psychological Services.
Visit our website for a complete schedule of the workshops. There may be a few changes or additions, so come back often to see the most up to date schedule.
Spring 2015 Groups
Groups are often the most effective way to
- gain support and encouragement from others;
- learn how you are perceived by others;
- gain specific skills to improve your life;
- develop relational skills.
For more information on current groups, please visit the Counseling and Psychological Services Groups website. Please contact Yu-Ping Huang at 408.924.5924 for further information.
Upcoming Trainings and Events
The Fun Side of Counseling: Focusing on your strengths and taking time to do fun things are good for your emotional health.
- Every Wednesday from 12:00–2:30 PM in ADM 269 — JUST COLOR. You will find supplies, materials, and templates for you to sit, chill, and color. Stay the entire time or just for a bit.
- Tuesday, March 10 from 11:30 AM–2:30 PM on the Tommy Smith & John Carlos Lawn (front of Clark) — STRENGTH INK. Have you tried Henna Arts? Counseling Services, Peer Connections, and Student Wellness invite you to come to this free event – to “henna” you and to explore your strengths.
The Military and Veteran Services Office plays a primary role in serving the university's growing community of veterans and military students. The office assists eligible student Veterans, active duty service personnel, dependents, reservists, and National Guard members with state and federal education benefit programs. Please visit our website at www.sjsu.edu/veterans for all things "Veteran"!
Introducing the Spring 2015 Peer Health Educators!
After a successful Fall recruitment, the Wellness & Health Promotion Office is delighted to begin the new semester with another amazing group of Peer Health Educators (PHEs). The 30 volunteer Peer Health Educators are led by a team of six PHE Leads, each of whom oversee one of six specialty areas. The PHE volunteers represent a range of majors including Computer Engineering, Health Science, Public Relations, Sociology, Nutritional Science, and more. To request a workshop, go to the Wellness and Health Promotion Web site and click on the Request a Presentation button.