How to help your Student through the student conduct process
Before your son/daughter arrives on campus:
- Have an open discussion with your student about the process of making good decisions, taking responsibility for their actions, and responding to peer pressure.
- Be open to discussing difficult topics such as substance abuse, intimate relationships, and other risky behavior.
When your son/daughter have been accused of violating the Student Conduct Code:
- Speak with your student regarding the situation. Make sure that you listen carefully and critically.
- Make sure your student knows the student conduct process. Your student should review the Student Conduct Code and the student conduct process.
- Discuss with your student your expectations for their behavior at University.
- Brainstorm with your student appropriate resources for help and support (e.g., alcohol education, personal counseling, etc).
- Brainstorm with your student ways to move on from the decision they had made.
- Be firm in your approach but always keep the lines of communication open.
Off Campus Resources for Parents