Student FAQs

Can I have a lawyer represent me for either the informal conference or the formal hearing?

Executive Order 970 gives the university the option of using attorneys. The president of SJSU has decided that attorneys will not be used for the hearing process. Both the student and the conduct officer may have an advisor for the formal hearing.

What is the role of my advisor at the formal hearing?

The advisor will be there to help prepare you for the hearing and to help you present your case. Your advisor can ask questions for you and advise you of what questions to ask.

Who can I have for an advisor?

The person that you choose for an advisor can be a professor, staff member or someone from off campus, it is your choice.

What is considered evidence?

Documents provided by the student and or testimony that witnesses can provide that are relevant to the case.

What if I change my mind and I want to accept the sanction that was offered to me during the informal conference?

At any time before or during the hearing, you may decide to accept the first sanction that was offered to you. Remember that the hearing officer may recommend a lesser or greater sanction than was first offered to you by the conduct officer.

Can I have a copy of the hearing officer's final report and a copy of the audio tape?

You may request a copy of the hearing officer's report through the Office of Student Conduct & Ethical Development. You may also request a copy of the audio tape at your expense.

Am I found automatically guilty if I miss the hearing?

If you decide not to show up for the hearing for whatever reason, you will not be punished. The hearing will continue as scheduled and the hearing officer will make a decision based on the evidence presented.

Can I appeal if I don't agree with the outcome of the formal hearing?

You can not appeal the outcome of the formal hearing.

What happens if I'm found innocent of violating the academic integrity policy? And how do I get the grade changed?

If found to have not violated the Academic Integrity Policy, you should then make an appointment to meet with the University Ombudsman to discuss your case.