Payment of the Mandatory Health Fee (MHF) allows students unlimited primary care visits at no additional cost.
- Illness and Injury Treatment: Care for the flu, sprains, lacerations, infections, and etc.
- Preventive Medicine: Nutritionists and health educators are available for counseling and diet information. Immunizations are available at a reduced cost.
- Women's Health: Evaluation and treatment of gynecological problems, routine examinations, and contraception counseling. (There is a nominal fee for outside lab work done in conjunction with a gynecological exam.)
Primary Care also includes:
- HIV/AIDS information
- Individual counseling and group presentations are provided by Health Educators and peer health educators. Confidential HIV Testing is $12.
Are you interested in reproductive health care services at NO COST to you? FamilyPACT may be the program for you. Most SJSU students are eligible.
- family planning services for men and women;
- education, counseling and treatment to protect students’ reproductive health at no cost to eligible California residents;
- all FamilyPACT information is confidential;
- completely voluntary program enrollment if eligible;
- covers costs such as women’s gynecological exams, birth control methods and STI (including HIV) testing, treatment and counseling;
- access to reproductive health care services with any FamilyPACT providers in California – teal HAP (Health Access Programs) card is issued
To schedule an eligibility appointment, call the Student Health Center at (408)924-6122.
- Dermatology: Appointments are available only by referral from Health Center clinicians. The dermatologist provides examination, treatment & minor surgery for skin problems. The fee per visit is $7.
- Sports Medicine: Care for sports-related and orthopedic problems is provided. Referral by a Health Center clinician is not required.
- Psychiatry: Appointments are available with a psychiatrist (referrals by Health Center clinicians or Counseling Services required).
- Travel Care: Comprehensive travel health consultation (45-minute appointment) is available to reduce risks of illness and accidents when traveling abroad. Download the Travel Medical Consult Questionnaire. This form needs to be printed, completed, and faxed to (408)924-7786 for the student's travel consultation with the MD or NP. (Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to download this form). The fee for a comprehensive travel consultation is $18.
Transgender Services at the Student Health CenterSJSU Student Health Center (SHC) is committed to providing sensitive and confidential care for transgender patients.
Available services include:
- prescribing and monitoring of hormonal therapy
- transferring of pre-existing prescriptions to the SHC pharmacy
- training for testosterone injections
Students wanting to initiate hormonal therapy need a referral from their treating health professional, following the WPATH Standard of Care.
For more information contact:
- Dr. Hidalgo via secure message using SHC's online platform
- Zoe Whaley, Wellness & Health Promotion Coordinator, 408-924-6118
To make an appointment with Dr. Hidalgo or Zoe, please call 408-924-6122.
- Laboratory: Many laboratory tests can be performed in the Health Center Laboratory free of charge. Outside laboratory procedures have varying fees.
- Pharmacy: The Health Center Pharmacy fills prescriptions prescribed by licensed U.S. physicians. Over-the-counter products are also available. Prices are competitive.
- Physical Therapy: Services available include soft tissue and joint mobilization, ultrasound, electro-stimulation, exercise programs, and hot/cold packs. A referral from a Health Center clinician is required. Crutch/cane rental (free). The per visit fee is $7.
- Radiology: SHC Imaging is committed to providing outstanding care, utilizing state-of-the-art technology. Our medical professionals conduct studies, maintaining the highest standards of clinical excellence, provided in a compassionate, caring environment.
- Physical Examinations: Academic-related (Nursing, Occupational Therapy), pre-employment, routine wellness and SCUBA physical examinations are available for a nominal fee.
- Immunizations: Currently only MMR, Titers and TB tests (Quantiferon blood test used to screen for TB) are available.
- The Student Health Center (SHC) does not provide allergy testing or allergy shot administration for students on an advancing dosage regimen.
- Students previously diagnosed and/or treated for ADD/ADHD who request refill of ADD/ADHD medications from the Student Health Center (SHC) will be required to provide complete documentation of the diagnostic evaluation.
- Students will need to arrange to receive refills of medications from their current prescriber until care has been transferred to the SHC.
- SHC does not provide services for new ADD/ADHD evaluation or testing. Local resources for testing: Bay Area Assessment Services and Wright Institute Assessment Service
- For assistance with academic challenges, here are some campus resources:
Student Health Center Services Does Not Replace Health Insurance
Students are encouraged to carry supplemental health insurance as the Student Health Center does not provide major medical or emergency services. For more information on health insurance please visit CSU Healthlink.