Studying abroad does not always entail high costs. For most programs, students pay their same SJSU tuition and fees. Depending on the country of study, other costs such as meals and accommodations can be comparable to the Bay Area or cheaper. There are some additional costs, however, for students to consider. In addition to tuition, be prepared for the following costs:
- Program Fees (varies by program)
- Meals & Accommodations (varies by country)
- SJSU International Health Insurance (mandatory for all program participants)
- Passport & Visa (varies by country—some locations do not require visas for US citizens)
- Personal Expenses (travel, entertainment, etc.)
- Emergency Funds (lost luggage, etc.)
All participants must pay the costs for their program as indicated on their MySJSU account prior to departure. ISEP Exchange students must pay the $390 non-refundable application fee. For ISEP Direct students the the $390 must be paid as well, but is considered non-refundable deposit (applied towards the total program fee) upon turning in their PPAF packet to the Study Abroad Office.
If you are eligible to receive financial aid, SJSU will automatically apply your financial aid award toward your program fee. If your award doesn't cover the total cost of the program, you are responsible for paying the remaining balance before departure.
Your financial aid check will only be disbursed once BOTH of the following conditions are met:
- Classes have begun at SJSU.
- You are enrolled in and attending classes overseas.
Please remember that it can take a few weeks longer to receive your financial aid awards while abroad. Please plan ahead and take enough funds to get by during the first month until you receive your financial aid disbursement.
If you have been awarded a scholarship through the Study Abroad Office, it is your responsibility to contact the Scholarship Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office to discuss disbursement of your award. Please note that the scholarship will first be put towards any outstanding balance on your account.