To be eligible for semester or academic year study abroad programs, students must meet all of the following criteria:

  1. Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 at the time of application*
  2. Have completed at least 2 semesters of study at SJSU before the study abroad program begins. 
  3. Not be on academic or disciplinary probation at the beginning of the program.** 

Some programs have additional requirements. These may include a higher GPA for more competitive universities, or certain language or coursework prerequisites for particular courses of study. Be sure to check the individual requirements listed for each program before applying.

*If your GPA is close to 2.75, but doesn’t quite make the cutoff, please contact a study abroad advisor to discuss your particular situation. 

**If you are currently on academic or disciplinary probation you are eligible to apply, but the probation must end by the time your program begins.  If you have concerns here, please contact a study abroad advisor to discuss your particular situation. 

California State University Intra-System Visitor Program

Students from other CSU campuses may participate in SJSU study abroad programs through the Intra-System Visitor Program. Students should complete the appropriate form through the Admissions and Records Office at their home campus and get the appropriate department signatures. If the student is eligible for financial aid, the home campus will process the aid.

Upon completion of an SJSU study abroad program, the host institution transcript for intra-system visitors will be forwarded to the Study Abroad Coordinator at their home campus. Students should complete academic approval forms and follow equivalency procedures for their home campus.

SJSU students can also participate in study abroad programs offered by other CSU campuses. For more information on programs through other CSU universities visit Extended and Continuing Education.

Transfer Students from California Community Colleges

California Community College students that have been admitted to SJSU may transfer to the university and go directly on an SJSU study abroad program their first semester at SJSU. Students can apply for study abroad programs prior to acceptance to SJSU, but participation in the program is contingent upon acceptance to the university. Coursework taken at community colleges can be used to meet program prerequisite requirements.

Non-SJSU Participants in Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs

If you have already graduated from SJSU, are a student at another university, or a member of the general community, you are still eligible to participate in SJSU Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs (FLP). To enroll in these programs you simply need to submit your FLP application along with an application for SJSU Open University, which allows non-matriculated students to enroll in SJSU courses. You will pay the same fees as SJSU students for the FLP, but your application and payment deadlines will be a few days sooner. Visit the FLP page for more information and also visit SJSU Open University.