City University of Hong Kong
- Earn SJSU resident credits for all completed courses.
- Pay your normal SJSU tuition and fees.
- Use your financial aid and apply for scholarships.
- Immerse yourself in a new culture.
- Study for one semester or an academic year.
- Gain an advantage when applying for jobs and graduate school.
It is possible to study many different disciplines in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Business at the City University of Hong Kong. Most courses are taught in English.
Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of China
Hong Kong (pop. 6.7 million) has long been a hub of international trade and commerce in East Asia. Once part of the British Empire, Hong Kong is now a Special Administrative Region of China, maintaining much of it’s autonomy by retaining many aspects of it’s legal system, currency, and customs under the “one country, two systems” policy. Hong Kong, which means “fragrant harbor” in Cantonese, is a unique blend of East and West with English and Cantonese being the official languages of the area, and Mandarin in growing usage. A fastpaced metropolis, Hong Kong is a center for business, education, and entertainment. It is an ideal location from which to explore the unique culture of Hong Kong as well as the traditional culture of mainland China.
City University of Hong Kong (CityU)
City University of Hong Kong is one of eight universities funded by the government of Hong Kong SAR. CityU was established in 1984 and has quickly grown to a major university with an international reputation for teaching and scholarship. Currently, over 22,000 students are enrolled in the 140 academic programs in a wide range of disciplines. CityU was recently ranked among the world’s best 200 universities, with its social sciences departments ranked 61st in the world, by the Times Higher Education Supplement in the UK
- be enrolled as an SJSU student for one semester prior to departure, or be a California community college student eligible to enter SJSU by the semester of departure,
- have completed lower division requirements for your intended field of study,
- have Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing by the semester of departure,
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
There is no language prerequisite, but students are strongly encouraged to take beginning Chinese prior to participation in the program.
Please note for students interested in applying to CityU for the Spring 2014 semester: Once you are officially nominated by our SJSU Study Abroad Office to attend CityU, you will then receive an e-mail from CityU to complete their online application, which will need to be submitted as soon as possible.
The Study Visa/Entry Permit (ID995A) and other required application forms such as Visa Sponsorship & Payment Form and Insurance Arrangement Form are available for download once you complete and submit the online application.
The original copy of the Study Visa/Entry Permit and its supporting documents must reach CityU's office for processing by October 12, 2013. Your nomination may be revoked if these documents are not received by the specified due date.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Applied Social Studies: Social Work, Psychology, Applied Sociology, Criminology and Counseling
- Department of Asian and International Studies: East and Southeast Asian Studies, International Studies
- Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics: Language Studies, Linguistics and Language, Technology, Translation and Interpretation, Putonghua (Mandarin), Cantonese and other Asian languages for nonnative learners
- Department of English and Communication: Communication and New Media, English Language, Education, Media Studies
- Department of Public and Social Administration: Housing Studies, Administration, Public Management, Policy Studies
Faculty of Business
- Accountancy, Accountancy and Law, Accountancy and Management Information Systems, Business Economics, Finance, Financial Engineering, Electronic Commerce, Information Systems, Human Resources Management, International Business (Japan Studies), Management Science, Managerial Statistics, Service Operations Management, China Business, Marketing.
Go to CityU Exchange Programme for more detailed information.
Students may participate in internships while studying in Hong Kong. The exchange program does not have formalized internships organized, but the university can provide support with internship placements, or students can arrange their own internship.
On-campus accommodations are available for exchange students and are highly recommended as the most affordable housing option. The Student Residence is within 10 to 15 minutes walking distance to the main campus and provides an environment that integrates the intellectual, social, and emotional development of students. Single rooms are available.
|Fall Semester||Late August–December|
|SJSU Tuition & Fees||3,585.00||
These costs are current as of 2012–13. These are estimated costs for the whole semester. Consult the Bursar’s Office for up-to-date information on tuition and fees. Personal expenses may vary among different students, and those who will be doing a lot of traveling during the school break and after the program should estimate higher.
|Round Trip Transportation||1,200.00|
|Single Room & Meals||3,250.00|
|Books & Supplies||100.00|