Finland Summer Study
May 25–June 15, 2013
Earn three units of upper division credit applicable to your SJSU degree while studying—in English—with other international students in the beautiful lakeside city of Jyväskylä, Finland on the campus of JAMK (University of Applied Sciences). Courses are especially designed for students in Business, Recreation, Hospitality, and Communication Studies, but all majors are invited to join. All courses are taught in English. Certain courses may qualify to meet SJSU GE Area V.
Course fees include:
- All course fees at JAMK (will earn 3 units of transfer credit for SJSU)
- Student housing in JAMK dorms
- Lunch each class day on campus
- Local bus pass, and transfers from Helsinki airport to Jyväskylä and return
Visit the CIA World Factbook page on Finland for general information about its geography, people, government, economy, transportation, and more.
JAMK classes meet Monday through Thursday. We will work with your major to determine what degree program requirements the course will satisfy.
- Students complete two courses (12 ECTS) for equivalent 6 units of SJSU credit.
- Hospitality Majors may fulfill one of three HRTM courses.
- Communication Studies Majors may take two courses that will count toward the Practice area or the Foundations area.
- Business students who join the SJSU group traveling to Finland can complete the equivalent of a 3 unit SJSU course by taking two out of five short classes available to business students.
All students are welcome to apply; Finnish language skills are not necessary.
Student housing in JAMK dorms
U.S. passport holders may enter Finland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.
Safety and Information:
Finland remains largely free of terrorist incidents. Further information can be found on the US Department of State Travel Information for Finland page.
Minna Holopainen, Communication Studies
|SJSU Special Session Tuition (3 Credits @ $250 each)||750|
|Program fees, lodging, class materials and local tours approx.||1,800|
* Air fare and meals are not provided
** Note: Exact price may fluctuate slightly owing to exchange rates between U.S. Dollar and Euro.
*** $500 non-refundable deposit will be due on March 16th.